Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't like today's swings. I was trying to create a strong change of direction, upperbody/hands going back as the lowerbody/hips move forward/turn. It looks like the upperbody dominated the sequence instead of creating a strong coil is the lowerbody/hips.

giphy.gif
looks to me that you lost your posture pre maturely. Look how much taller you get between load and launch. That is my fear in trying to teach hip extension.

Jun 8, 2016
According to many around here Hank Aaron's swing would suck.
Stride is certainly long. Mantle had a long stride too..seems like a lot of the old timers had longer strides. That said, unlike a little girl I know, their body position when they launch is much better.

Feb 25, 2020
looks to me that you lost your posture pre maturely. Look how much taller you get between load and launch. That is my fear in trying to teach hip extension.

I dont think you teach it(or can teach it) You can only get in a good position for it to happen(posture, hip flexion etc). TDS always says its reactionary and he is right even if he cant tell you exactly why, he knows it works. If you try to do it consciously you end up early extending(which I think shawn does here) and disconnected/ out of sequence.

Hip extension is the most powerful movement the body can do. But like the guys throwing the hammer, the bat has to be in a certain postion for hip extension to add velocity to it(it has to be almost already in front of you).

In Shawns swing(with this feel he had) the bat is too far behind to benefit from the hip extension. I think this is why he said it feels like it was upper body dominated. Because he got 0 benefit from his extension, his upper was doing all the work.

Golf is a good example of this. On TV all the analysts say "look at how hard his hips are turning" or "look at how hard his lower body is working." Amateurs go out and fire there hips and end up barely hitting it out of their shadows.

This is also why num nuts says lower body is drag and slow when hes shutting people down.

Here is a good of example of when feel is not real by the best ever(I think) in his sport. (The only relevant part is Tiger and Butch harmon at the very beginning)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802