Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Both of these hitters are hitting a HR, both could hit HR's, one is a career .300 hitter with minimal strikeouts, the other is a sub par .250 hitter and averaged a strikeout per game. Sorry there isn't more of their swings, although this does show the difference between the two.

Which hitter is quick to the ball and what hitter is applying force over a longer distance? Which hitter is the better one, left or right?

giphy.gif
I like the lefty. Lots of bat wrap.

Feb 25, 2020
For a fixed impulse, the greatest acceleration will happen at the slower speed and the bat will cover the most distance at the highest speed.
If more time or acceleration distance is added, then since all bats start at zero, the one with force applied for a longer time will cover more distance at a greater speed. Averaging speed of 75mph over the last portion of the swing is simple math. 75mph is 396,000 feet per hour, or 110 feet per second, so per one hundredth of a second a bat moving at 75mph moves 1.1 feet or 13.2 inches.
13.2 inches is also the difference in distance a 80mph bat travels above what a 70mph bat travels in one hundredth of a second.
Accelerating the bat is more complicated but average acceleration is 5.33 feet per hundredth second per hundredth second for 80mph vs. 4.66/.01 sec/.01 sec for 70mph for a swing time of .15 seconds.

Regardless, here's a study regarding bat speed and accuracy to contact.

Bobby,

How do you refute the argument that the batter can turn a "92 into a 100" by needing "an extra beat" as you put it earlier.

Its very complicated and there is certainly a trade off I understand. Is it just somethin you need to judge off game performance? Do you have concerns about it working at one level but not the next?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Both of these hitters are hitting a HR, both could hit HR's, one is a career .300 hitter with minimal strikeouts, the other is a sub par .250 hitter and averaged a strikeout per game. Sorry there isn't more of their swings, although this does show the difference between the two.

Which hitter is quick to the ball and what hitter is applying force over a longer distance? Which hitter is the better one, left or right?

giphy.gif

Looks like Don gets leveraged before launch while Pete continues shifting forward while rotating which translates into all or nothing (long and slow) .. Not a lot of room for adjustments.

Jul 29, 2013
Bobby,

How do you refute the argument that the batter can turn a "92 into a 100" by needing "an extra beat" as you put it earlier.

Its very complicated and there is certainly a trade off I understand. Is it just somethin you need to judge off game performance? Do you have concerns about it working at one level but not the next?
I went back and looked at the metrics from the bat sensor and, although it's not scientific, I saw that the faster bat speeds were also the quicker to impact speeds.
I also know that when my dd was struggling to get to the high inside pitch, although it may seem counterintuitive, if she wrapped her bat it made it possible. Also, she observed that it felt like she had more time.
I guess it gave her more leverage.
Someone posted earlier that there were 2 guys in videos on this thread that didn't start at a good bat angle. They started with their barrels less than vertical, tilted toward the catcher. In that light, wrapping the bat could be viewed as being a much better bat angle. With more leverage, the bat can be accelerated faster over the same, or even less time.
BTW, her time to impact was usually .15 to .18 seconds. 78 to 80 mph average bat speed. 34 drop 8 bat.
As far as different levels, no one ever threw a ball past her.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Looks like Don gets leveraged before launch while Pete continues shifting forward while rotating which translates into all or nothing (long and slow) .. Not a lot of room for adjustments.
Mattingly is a major supporter of down to/direct to the ball.. and I know it's a stick person video, but the hands down to here is quite evident.

Nice job @Shawn, great illustration

May 12, 2016
I went back and looked at the metrics from the bat sensor and, although it's not scientific, I saw that the faster bat speeds were also the quicker to impact speeds.
I also know that when my dd was struggling to get to the high inside pitch, although it may seem counterintuitive, if she wrapped her bat it made it possible. Also, she observed that it felt like she had more time.
I guess it gave her more leverage.
Someone posted earlier that there were 2 guys in videos on this thread that didn't start at a good bat angle. They started with their barrels less than vertical, tilted toward the catcher. In that light, wrapping the bat could be viewed as being a much better bat angle. With more leverage, the bat can be accelerated faster over the same, or even less time.
BTW, her time to impact was usually .15 to .18 seconds. 78 to 80 mph average bat speed. 34 drop 8 bat.
As far as different levels, no one ever threw a ball past her.

According Zepp Training Center:
Baseball Pro AVG bat speed is 75-90 MPH

Blast Motion:
Professional: 63 – 75 mph
College: 58 – 70 mph
Travel Ball 16U – 18U: 54 – 66 mph
High School Varsity: 49 – 63 mph
High School Junior Varsity: 42 – 56 mph
Travel Ball 12U – 14U: 38 – 52 mph
Recreational: 32 – 46 mph

Softball
Elite hitters in College Top at 80 mph, and average 75 mph
Pro hitters average 70 - 85 mph, top at 80 - 90 mph

@ 34 Drop 8 -> 78 to 80 mph

Simply amazing

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Mike-coach-Q recently said there are 2 ways to swing a bat. One way is to swing with momentum as the force generation (Pete) or to create opposing forces, changing direction of the knob (Mattingley).

Jun 8, 2016
Mike-coach-Q recently said there are 2 ways to swing a bat. One way is to swing with momentum as the force generation (Pete) or to create opposing forces, changing direction of the knob (Mattingley).
All hitters use both to some extent with some:
hcdiYy9.gif

using more momentum then others:

BNAyClh.gif

but if you just rely on momentum you are going to be in trouble.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Yes Pete drifts forward which results or effects the rotation and sequence.

I think that’s what Pattar is seeing in the comparison of his daughter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812