Swing experiment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Put it simply the result of an optimal swing is one which gives the best combination of bat speed and ball/bat collision point. That swing will be different then the one produced if only one of those objectives was used to determine optimal. Ball/bat collision point is effected by time to contact, in the sense that you can wait longer to read the pitch, and the degree of adjustability a certain swing mechanic has.

EUy44NNXkAADQIn.jpeg

Feb 25, 2020
Not being an "expert" does not preclude you from thinking about/discussing(commenting on)/learning about things.

That guy Al Einstein certainly wasnt considered an expert when he published his first theories. He was a 26 y/o patent clerk. steve jobs started building computers in his garage.
Teacherman was taking cuts in his basement now he works with the RF for the yankees.😆maybe not quite on the same level asthe other 2.

Jul 29, 2013
Well I cannot see how anybody would be advocating for longer in time...
100th of a second earlier start for 14" more room to accelerate.
Trade-off?
All things being equal, one swing at 10mph faster than another but time to impact is 100th second more....which one would you prefer?

Jun 8, 2016
Not being an "expert" does not preclude you from thinking about/discussing(commenting on)/learning about things.
Yeah because I don't do that here..You asked @TDS what he meant hence I don't want to answer for him.

If you were to ask me what the front side is used for, I would say mostly to allow for proper adjustments when one is fooled although I am not saying it isn't used in a swing where one isn't fooled..I just don't have a good enough understanding of that to offer up a good explanation. I do think that this view is different than @TDS.

Is that sufficient for me to pass ( I am only looking to pass..not ace) your class in "thinking outside the box 101" ? ;)

Edit: Also being considered an expert and being one are two different things. Einstein's papers proved he was one whereas I have seen a lot of people who are considered experts in various fields who are complete dunces...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
100th of a second earlier start for 14" more room to accelerate.
Trade-off?
All things being equal, one swing at 10mph faster than another but time to impact is 100th second more....which one would you prefer?
Depends. That 1/100 of a second could be the difference between a barreled up ball or a ball hit away from the barrel...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

That guy Al Einstein certainly wasnt considered an expert when he published his first theories. He was a 26 y/o patent clerk. steve jobs started building computers in his garage.
Teacherman was taking cuts in his basement now he works with the RF for the yankees.😆maybe not quite on the same level asthe other 2.

Yeah, that Einstein dude needs to work harder... Slacker... ;)

Jul 29, 2013
Depends. That 1/100 of a second could be the difference between a barreled up ball or a ball hit away from the barrel...
Let's assume the bat is on the ball path the entire time.
Theoretically, if they both start at the same time, both bats are traveling the same speed with the same impulse. One hundredth of a second might mean the difference in left field or center field.
BUT....if I start my bat 100th second earlier with 14" running start, my bat gets to the same contact point as your bat, with greater bat speed at impact.

Jun 8, 2016
Let's assume the bat is on the ball path the entire time.
But that is the point..that extra 1/100 of a second may allow you to read the pitch better and put your bat along a better path..Honestly don't know with that timeframe whether that is true or not but I am also not convinced that your 1/100 s number is correct either ;) Others will also argue that a barrel which is accelerated to the maximum from the start will allow for less adjustability in the swing after it is launched which also effects ball/bat collision point but I am not convinced by that argument.

Reactions: TDS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802