Swing examples needed (leg kick)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Overheard a discussion at practice yesterday b/w an instructor and player about the need to eliminate a leg kick from her swing to allow her to get more power. I'm paraphrasing a bit - it included the reasoning of "unlike baseball, girls power their swings with their legs".

Can anyone provide a few names of successful hitters that use a leg kick at higher levels of play? (I know Chamberlain is out, only other one that I can name easily is either Hugo or DiCarlo (or both?) that use one).

Video or gif would be great, but not expected. I'd love to pass a few names along to the girl and her parents if she decides to stick with the leg kick.

Thanks DFP!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Have nothing for you.

DD became a no stride hitter because I could not control her leg kick. Understand why she did it, timing she was waiting to crush the ball.

I think it will catch up to her when she gets older and P gets faster.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Overheard a discussion at practice yesterday b/w an instructor and player about the need to eliminate a leg kick from her swing to allow her to get more power. I'm paraphrasing a bit - it included the reasoning of "unlike baseball, girls power their swings with their legs".

Can anyone provide a few names of successful hitters that use a leg kick at higher levels of play? (I know Chamberlain is out, only other one that I can name easily is either Hugo or DiCarlo (or both?) that use one).

Video or gif would be great, but not expected. I'd love to pass a few names along to the girl and her parents if she decides to stick with the leg kick.

Thanks DFP!

Below is a link to Carlton Salters (CoachCSalt on Twitter) google drive. He is the hitting coach at UTSA. He has hundreds of gifs of female hitters and he shares them with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks DRDRODD (doc?) - hoping to find some recognizable names. As quincy mentioned, my understanding is that it's always been more a timing mechanism than a power source. 11U team, so "power" is all relative at this point.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
It may not be for every girl........my DD was (is) a huge fan of Kasey Cooper, she adopted Cooper's high leg kick and her batting numbers went through the roof in EVERY single category!

I agree it is a timing mechanism, but for my little 5'0" 130 pound girl it created gobs of power for her! Her hitting coach used to laugh and say just how unorthodox it was, but she would also say "I'm not changing a thing about that swing, heck no, not me!!"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478