Swing Evaluation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 16, 2020
Hello! I am new to this community. I was wondering if anyone could correct or point out minor details in my daughter’s swing? Her hitting coach has changed her swing to dip her shoulders, and her coaches are trying to correct it. Here are some pics. I’ll upload a video soon. 1341209B-6944-4FF0-9255-9016F0213418.jpeg6EF48660-D83B-49ED-99D6-AD87CB730E4C.jpeg0C15CEF1-FED2-4D8D-B0AE-97CF9F8B0BB6.jpeg529A185B-E60A-46BB-B59B-6B2604EC3C0B.jpeg

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What do you mean by "dip her shoulders"? If you are referring to her shoulders tilting (rear shoulder lower) to match the swing plane, that is exactly what we do want to see. If her team coaches are telling her to keep her shoulders level through the whole swing, they aren't paying attention to what really happens in high-level swings.

The Hansen Principle..."Whatever someone tells you about the swing, compare it to video of what the best actually do." Let this be your guide.

Shoulder tilt matches swing plane. The amount of tilt will vary with pitch location.

Also...Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the ride! :D

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Do you trust and agree with her hitting instructor? Are you staying with them? Why are your coaches trying to change the instruction?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Do you trust and agree with her hitting instructor? Are you staying with them? Why are your coaches trying to change the instruction?

Great questions! If you are paying for hitting instruction, and her team coaches are giving her conflicting information, this issue has to be resolved or she will just end up confused about what she should be doing. That's a hard place for a developing player to be.

Jul 29, 2013
As for the tilt of the shoulders.... looks good to me.
I recommend a little more length in the front arm (bar) so the swing gets into the hitting zone a little deeper.

Tell her to hit bombs and the coaches will leave her alone.
Can't fix what ain't broke.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The first thing a notice is the tee looks awfully close to the bownet. Looks like if she were to release the barrel properly she would strike the bownet. From Bobby, "
I recommend a little more length in the front arm (bar) so the swing gets into the hitting zone a little deeper."

She looks powerful and as others have already said the shoulder should work down and around if hitter has proper posture. I would like to see a little more hip flexion (hinge with chest over the plate more) and her weight off the toes and more in the heels or arches.
Is she hitting well? power?
Time for you or your DD to talk to the coach very politely. Watch out for those "old school level swing" egos. LOL Have you talked to her hitting instructor about the situation? Maybe he would have some words of advice.

Jun 27, 2018
THIS!!!! This is exactly what my daughter went through for the last two years. The problem was my daughter couldn’t mentally handle the conflict between what she was being taught and what her team coach was trying to fight against. Her hitting coach changed her swing to tilt the shoulders (Do we have the same hitting coach??) Her team coach hated the swing and actually put her down and belittled her. Ended up taking her out of the hitting line up completely by the end of the summer season. I wish I would’ve recognized the mental damage it was doing to her at the time. She loves softball and wanted desperately to just learn the swing and keep working at it while at the same time trying to please her head coach. I feel like we just lost a whole season in her development. We ended up leaving that team after the season was over. She’s doing much better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802