Swing Evaluation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Would that contribute to swinging under the ball?
Get her to loosen up her arms and upper body and whip the bat. She has too much tension in upper body. Kids feel stronger when they create tension in arms but it’s having a negative impact on her swing. Have her focus on hitting with her legs (tension here) and letting the upper body relax. This will help her swing sequence.

On contacting the bottom of the ball, it’s not a great teach but simply tell her to swing over the ball with a slight upper cut maintaining loose upper body

Aug 20, 2017
I'm guessing here
The sway is what she considers her load. The backward movement before she swings.
Should there be a more district separation between negative and positive movements?

What should watch on the back knee?

"Would like to see her hand/torso turning back as she strides forward" any good video examples of this?
She needs to maintain back knee in front of back foot when she loads. This allows the front hip to compress against the back hip. Focus on pulling back with the back elbow during the stride. The shoulders/core will rotate inward some when she does this move correctly

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'm guessing here
The sway is what she considers her load. The backward movement before she swings.
Should there be a more district separation between negative and positive movements?

"Would like to see her hand/torso turning back as she strides forward" any good video examples of this?
I'm guessing here

I hate to use this guy all the time but.......

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

Here she is at 'hip/elbow slot'.

1) Notice the hands are behind the back elbow - this is bat drag. The hands should never be behind the elbow at any point in the swing.

2) Notice the bat head has not moved. Prior to this point, she powers her torso around, then levers the elbow down as she should. But, she leaves the bat head. This is the phase when she should be getting early bat speed, and she doesn't.

Two things that might fix this.
1) In the stance, her back foot appears to be pointed backwards. Point straight at the plate.

2) Have her get in front of a mirror, and practice dry swings for a few days as she turns her torso (hips and shoulders) 45 degrees AS she strides/moves forward to front heel plant. [at the moment, she is opening her hips as she moves forward - this is backwards]

She also has a severe timing problem with the front leg/knee, where she straightens her front knee too soon, therefore she has to push both elbows/hands at the ball to contact. I'm hoping the coil inward and the back foot fixes will clear up some of that.

If she's hitting HRs with bat drag, she'll be hitting parking lot bombs when she fixes this.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019
Thanks for the assessment. Hitting coach and high school coach say the same thing regarding feet. She went from 0-60 about a year ago in softball and I think she missed some foundational fundamentals.

I've tried wrapping my head around the hands in front of elbow. I hear what your saying but she like myself is a visual learner. Are there any slow motion or frames of a proper swing anyone could share or suggest?
(I'm sure several are currently posted but I'm a dummy/nube)

On the turning the torso as she strides in the mirror no bat just stride and turn?

The timing serms to stem from the front foot s turning open as she starts her swing. Other than nailing the front foot down is there a way to correct it?

I imagine this is to compensate for the bat drag.

May 12, 2016
Would that contribute to swinging under the ball?
Hands are getting low.. your DD is probably anticipating the ball arriving at the plate in a lower location.. with the hands being so low it's hard to recover from this position. JMHO, I'm not an instructor by any means. Just know my DD's hands were getting too low resulting in her being under the ball as well.

I know there were comments in this thread about not worrying about being under the ball.. but I think you should be worried about it. As pitching gets better this issue will become more evident. Hands above the ball, work the barrel to and up through the ball.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017

Hope this works DD in a bit of a slump. I have a few more swings if needed. This is front toss with hitting coach.

She is strong so fix some mechanics and she could be a killer.

Fix back foot. Leaking power. Toes should point straight back at plate.

Gets into back knee heavy, would like to see her get into back hip, try straightening the back knee more on the gather.

Hips don't load. Losing power there. Would like to see her back left pocket working to the pitcher or her front heel getting pointing to pitcher during the gather.

Bat path looks pretty good. Back elbow gets slotted lead arm works up.

Does't finish through the ball. She should drive her back shoulder to point at the pitcher. If standing in the left handed batters box you should clearly see her numbers on the finish. Practice the Happy Gilmore drill with the intentions of going through the ball and finishing with shoulder pointing to pitcher.

She does pretty well the hardest thing for young players. Right bat path. My guess is her strikeouts where coming from bad timing which the other things above have a big part in helping correct.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1) I've tried wrapping my head around the hands in front of elbow. I hear what your saying but she like myself is a visual learner. Are there any slow motion or frames of a proper swing anyone could share or suggest?

2) On the turning the torso as she strides in the mirror no bat just stride and turn?

3) The timing serms to stem from the front foot s turning open as she starts her swing. Other than nailing the front foot down is there a way to correct it?

1) Here is Manny keeping his hands in front. Also notice that the bat head moves in unison with the back elbow as it drops to the hip. [Beware this GIF starts after the end of the stride] After you get the inward coil move described below, work on making the bat head move like this.

2) Yes, no bat, dry stride. Keep the back heel on the ground, turn 45, and hold until end of stride. In a real swing, an inch or two from the ground at the very end, the front leg reaching for the ground will begin to open the hips very slightly. But you dont need to practice that, it will happen anyway.

3) I'm hoping the coiling inward exercise will fix much of this.

May 20, 2019
1) Here is Manny keeping his hands in front. Also notice that the bat head moves in unison with the back elbow as it drops to the hip. [Beware this GIF starts after the end of the stride] After you get the inward coil move described below, work on making the bat head move like this.
View attachment 14775

2) Yes, no bat, dry stride. Keep the back heel on the ground, turn 45, and hold until end of stride. In a real swing, an inch or two from the ground at the very end, the front leg reaching for the ground will begin to open the hips very slightly. But you dont need to practice that, it will happen anyway.

3) I'm hoping the coiling inward exercise will fix much of this.
This works well. Did wonders for my DD ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478