Swing Evaluation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines

Hope this works DD in a bit of a slump. I have a few more swings if needed. This is front toss with hitting coach.

I see three fundamental issues that I think should be fixed one at a time. I will list them in the easier order to fix:

1) She has "chicken-wings". Her elbows should be closer to 90°. That high back elbow when pulling down to slot will drop her bat-head. If it affects it 1/2", that is serious. Her back elbow goes higher, spreading them more right at launch. Her back elbow should largely be pointed down at the catcher's chest if they are in proper position.

Below are Danielle Stewart of Australia, in her stance, All-American Dani Gilmore going into load, and Gabrielle (Gabby) Maurice of UCLA. Dani and Gabby played for our Philippines National Team. Note that their back knee stays inside the back foot in the stance and through the load phase. Please note the elbows!

2) Cornbread mentioned a barred-arm. To an extent that is true, but she has no choice because she is really pulling the bat through with the front shoulder. Every swing is pulled with the front shoulder! She needs to learn to stay on the ball better, and release the topside appropriately by pitch location. Without a straight right arm, she wouldn't be able to reach very much. The other result is she is hitting too many balls on the end of the bat, not on the sweet-spot of the bat. No sweet-spot, less power.

3) She seems to lack training in hitting to all fields, in particular right-field. She is often attempting to hit the ball too far out front. The pulled front shoulder doesn't help that. I would work hard with her on hitting to RF and keeping her shoulder on the ball. (The other result is she is hitting too many balls on the end of the bat, not on the sweet-spot. No sweet-spot, less power)

There are some really nice things about her swing too, but they are being compromised. She comes to slot well at the back hip with the back elbow well. Her head stays on the ball. She has fairly good rotation.

Attachments

• Danielle_Stewart_Hitting2.jpg
    Danielle_Stewart_Hitting2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 Gil.jpg
    2 Gil.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 5
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Definitely work to be done. Not sure exactly what you mean?

At what point if the swing should the hands be above the back elbow?

Thanks
The hands are released at slot, or back elbow connection to the back hip. The bat head must be above the hands at that point, and the hands above the back elbow. Not all pitches are above the waist. So on a low pitch, connection can occur and the bat head thrown at that pitch. In this case the bat head will be on the pitch-plane behind the back leg.

Note in Jeter's sequence the bat is still above the hands in #2 and #3. Hit elbow comes to "slot" or connection at #2 and just begins to pass it at #3. At #4 the bat head is thrown at the pitch path.

Attachments

• Jeter Sequence.jpg
    Jeter Sequence.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 10
Jun 28, 2019
I see three fundamental issues that I think should be fixed one at a time. I will list them in the easier order to fix:

1) She has "chicken-wings". Her elbows should be closer to 90°. That high back elbow when pulling down to slot will drop her bat-head. If it affects it 1/2", that is serious. Her back elbow goes higher, spreading them more right at launch. Her back elbow should largely be pointed down at the catcher's chest if they are in proper position.

Below are Danielle Stewart of Australia, in her stance, All-American Dani Gilmore going into load, and Gabrielle (Gabby) Maurice of UCLA. Dani and Gabby played for our Philippines National Team. Note that their back knee stays inside the back foot in the stance and through the load phase. Please note the elbows!

2) Cornbread mentioned a barred-arm. To an extent that is true, but she has no choice because she is really pulling the bat through with the front shoulder. Every swing is pulled with the front shoulder! She needs to learn to stay on the ball better, and release the topside appropriately by pitch location. Without a straight right arm, she wouldn't be able to reach very much. The other result is she is hitting too many balls on the end of the bat, not on the sweet-spot of the bat. No sweet-spot, less power.

3) She seems to lack training in hitting to all fields, in particular right-field. She is often attempting to hit the ball too far out front. The pulled front shoulder doesn't help that. I would work hard with her on hitting to RF and keeping her shoulder on the ball. (The other result is she is hitting too many balls on the end of the bat, not on the sweet-spot. No sweet-spot, less power)

Thanks for the feedback. I posted a video from today on this thread post #87. Maybe I should start a new thread. Not sure if your comments are regarding the latest videos or the earlier ones.

Here's some contex. The first clip is actually a home run to right field. It cleared the field fence and the fence around the parking lot. 225-235 feet measured on google maps. This was against a juco team DD is 16. The second clip is to the right center alley about 210 feet center fielder dove and caught it near the warning track.

Looking for feedback on clips in post #87. Are those the clips you're referencing Quasimodo?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Definitely work to be done. Not sure exactly what you mean?

At what point if the swing should the hands be above the back elbow?

Thanks

The hands are a little above the back elbow at launch. She does do very well regardless.

I like her swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It’s a tough angle to see this completely, but thought posture was tilting forward a little at contact.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It’s a stuff angle to see this completely, but thought posture was tilting forward a little at contact.

agreed. I think some high tee and maybe a short tee ball bat to get her adjusting correctly. She loses space. A top down approach is best imo.

pretty good stroke imo.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
As mentioned by Shawn, the release of the hands/barrel is not quite right.

I think the loss of space during the load causes the late release of the barrel on the outside pitch. It should be released closer to the back shoulder w a ‘snap’ of the front elbow, unlike an inside pitch where it should be released closer to the midline and the front elbow might or might not ‘snap’ at all.

maybe ‘inside the ball’ to much? Maybe approach? Like mentioned before, try a short bat for up and away locations on a tee and toss. She will not be able to guide the barrel but release the barrel.

another thing that could be an issue is the ‘forward’ set up. I like to see the stance more balanced w the head centered. I’m just speculating on one swing. So take w a grain..

I would try the short bat first. If it doesn’t get better.. than adjust set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478