Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Sure, been saying that since day one, if you're in agreement with that now, that's outstanding.

See my post just above this one, replying to someone talking about swinging....

...just today.

Do you believe that you can "swing down", hit the top half of the ball, and not continue to swing down through it after contact?

If so, when does the bat path turn up to hit the top half of the ball, and do you really believe that would cause the ball to have an upward flight instead of a downward one?
I believe it was TDS who wrote that. I’ll let him explain it. Because I know for a fact he does not believe in down to and down through.

However, I do not believe in hitting the top half of the ball, whether it be chopping down or getting on plane and topping the ball. Both IMO is not productive. I said this about 10 pages back or so. And many times before.

Nov 16, 2017
Yep. That contact point is obviously a mistake. It will clearly end in a pop up. However, what you are suggesting is that the pros are intentionally trying to make a mistake by aiming for the top half and simply hoping that they hit the ball slightly below center. Sounds to me like you are suggesting the pros dont know what they are saying or doing. Interesting...
Just listen to what he is saying. He explains it quite clear here in the video below. Bonds knows his body turns the bat level and up through the ball. MLB guys are always fighting against doing that too much, because that is what is easy. Down to with a turn keeps them from "chicken winging" (per Mike Trout) and keeps their path clean. The second they start thing lift the ball, their path is jacked up and they are under.

May 12, 2016
I know your one of them, Hr’s are a mistake. Haha🤔
One of who?

Donaldson says damage is done out front but he’s not trying to hit the ball out front

Vladdy says he’s not a HR hitter, he’s a line drive hitter, and he’s just trying to hit the ball the hard, yet he has the 2nd most HRs in the AL.

They are also both MLB players. All MLB hitters do not have the same approach at the plate.

again, so what??? Who cares if Votto says he’s trying to hit HRs

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Yep. That contact point is obviously a mistake. It will clearly end in a pop up. However, what you are suggesting is that the pros are intentionally trying to make a mistake by aiming for the top half and simply hoping that they hit the ball slightly below center. Sounds to me like you are suggesting the pros dont know what they are saying or doing. Interesting...

IMO when they say "hit the top half" or get on top theyre talking about fastballs(4 seamers). A good 4 seamer finishes much higher than the brain thinks it will.

The "hit the top half" is to try to stop this from happening...

May 12, 2016
IMO when they say "hit the top half" or get on top theyre talking about fastballs(4 seamers). A good 4 seamer finishes much higher than the brain thinks it will.

The "hit the top half" is to try to stop this from happening...

get on top IMO means keeping the hands above the ball. This will keep the barrel on plane and direct with the pitch. Once the hands/barrel dips below the pitch path, the swing becomes long and loopy. Just my two cents

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
You could at least use the right clip if you're going to use them...
hitting-faults-hit-top-of-ball-animated.gif

Care to explain how when bunting, and attempting to hit the top half of the ball doesn't produce pop-ups fits into your theory?

Mud, I know it upsets you when pro's speak swing down.. Maybe one should look beyond the rear leg/hip being the driver of the swing to prevent the steep barrel path cutting across the ball.

QIHL4l1.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

FP26, no they are attempting to hit the top half to hit line drives.. Homers are mistakes which is why the folks who preach down to had a respectable avg as well as homers..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802