Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Please refer to this post...

We all agree the barrel gets delivered to the ball, but this doesn't explain what you mean by "you promote TTB" but not "forced supination".

Apologize if I'm missing something in your explanation here

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
At launch, the body works in unison to deliver the barrel to the ball. The rear elbow drops while the barrel simultaneously begins to turn. If you want to say the hands are turning it, that's fine. If you want to say the scap is lowering the arm while the hands maintain the hinge angle, that's fine too. As with most other concepts, hinge angle has been beaten to death because of people's tendency to over exaggerate things. Anyway, as the rear elbow is dropping the front arm will typically maintain it's distance from the chest. This process essentially creates the arc that I am referring to.

U5CZiZ3.gif

JMO / YMMV

@julray, let's try this again... Here is the post I was referring to. I removed other parts of the post so that the focus is specifically regarding your question. The hitter is TTB in this clip. At least what I refer to as TTB. Your definition may be different. And, no, I do not consider this forced supination.

May 12, 2016
@julray, let's try this again... Here is the post I was referring to. I removed other parts of the post so that the focus is specifically regarding your question. The hitter is TTB in this clip. At least what I refer to as TTB. Your definition may be different. And, no, I do not consider this forced supination.
Gotcha, thanks for explaining your version of TTB

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
With the rear elbow dropping, what is the top hand doing during this phase? I think you said maintaining the hinge angle is fine to say. How does one maintain the hinge angle?

Oct 2, 2017
I agree concerning the serratus anterior, but when that discussion starts, some people will bring up "push". I would argue that the SA can perform it's function without creating a push swing. Whether you consider it active or reactive is really debatable in my opinion. I can understand either thought. Personally I consider it more reactive, but that's just me... The serratus anterior is the primary muscle involved in the 'out from" portion that I mentioned in a previous post. Post #1551.

In regards to TTB, I would be careful. I for one have never promoted forced supination, but I do promote TTB. Some posters will attempt to derail the conversation by trying to say you can't do one without the other. That simply isn't true.

That's why I feel its very important if someone is to use the term TTB, They need to be clear on their definition. It will remove much of the arguments.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So when you hear all the pros speaking of hitting the top of the ball mentality, are they actively trying to ttb to the top of the ball ?

What do you mean by "actively trying"? When I'm in the box the only thing I'm actively trying to do is hit the ball.

Also, based on most of the videos I see, if they are actively trying to hit the top of the ball during game swings, they really suck at it. Just speaking about basic physics (sorry pattar), but if the bat actually hits the top of the ball what direction do you think the ball will go in after contact?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28