Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Personally, I think it's simply talking points as to what one's looking at, and saying what about which.

If you look at these hitters' hands, then yes, from the handset at or above their shoulders, they do move their hands "down" or "swing down" (good luck teaching that to young developing hitters).

But if you look at the barrel path, it indeed does more of the "ferris wheel" (although I don't particularly like that term), as to moves "behind and through" the ball...not "down and to" it as the hands "swing down" will ultimately produce with young hitters.

When we often talk "Down to", aside from the core movements, I feel we cannot forget there is torque being applied to the handle of the bat. It's not the players taking hands "Down to" as pushing the hands or knob that way and never release the bat head. I think the argument can be said that the hitter is turning the barrel/throwing "Forward" (in which you see the barrel get behind the ball creating an arc) to the ball with direction vs TTB "Rearward" first to get behind the ball. if that makes sense. JMHO

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
When we often talk "Down to", aside from the core movements, I feel we cannot forget there is torque being applied to the handle of the bat. It's not the players taking hands "Down to" as pushing the hands or knob that way and never release the bat head. I think the argument can be said that the hitter is turning the barrel/throwing "Forward" (in which you see the barrel get behind the ball creating an arc) to the ball with direction vs TTB "Rearward" first to get behind the ball. if that makes sense. JMHO
Yes, I think it's a combination of both. Simply TTB rearward w/o some predisposed direction forward won't get it done...same as simply pulling the hands straight "down to" the ball is a swing killer.

The key is always the barrel path. All MLB hitters bring the barrel around and under their rear shoulder to the ball in their game swings, and none of them take it over their rear shoulder straight down to the ball...regardless of whatever they might show in some demos or drill swings.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Down to

View attachment 22716

if you dont see that in MLB swings, get your eyes checked.

Maybe you can help me see it, because I don't see it here...

Or here...

Or lots of others. I don't see the barrel getting pulled down in front of the rear shoulder like that at all. How is that move translating to the barrel path we see in top hitters? What am I missing?

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Down to

View attachment 22716

if you dont see that in MLB swings, get your eyes checked.

Reminds me of the Bonds drill hitting in front of the plate.. Its all about driving the ball through the target.

yAqixcb.gif

MASQCEL.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Maybe you can help me see it, because I don't see it here...

Or here...

Or lots of others. I don't see the barrel getting pulled down in front of the rear shoulder like that at all. How is that move translating to the barrel path we see in top hitters? What am I missing?

the action of bringing the arms down to up is the prep to chop. The action of down to is the chop. Go chop an imaginary tree. It’s the same As Ted said in his book 50 yrs ago.

Apr 11, 2015
the action of bringing the arms down to up is the prep to chop. The action of down to is the chop. Go chop an imaginary tree. It’s the same As Ted said in his book 50 yrs ago.
Uh no. All of Ted Williams teachings were a "slight upswing", all of his illustrations and photos showed the barrel coming around and under the rear shoulder. Reread the chapter "Up, Up Is The Way" for this...
I advocate a slight upswing (from level to about 10 degrees), and there is another good reason for this—the biggest reason:

Say the average pitcher is 6 foot 2. He’s standing on a mound 10 inches high. He’s pitching overhand, or three-quarter arm. He releases the ball right about ear level. Your strike zone is, roughly, from 22 inches to 4 feet 8. Most pitchers will come in below the waist, because the low pitch is tougher to hit. The flight of the ball is down (see diagram), about 5 degrees. A slight upswing—again, led by the hips coming around and up—puts the bat flush in line with the path of the ball for a longer period—that 12- to 18-inch impact zone.

Certainly there are times when you want to think more about getting on top of the ball—times when you are having trouble, getting fooled, popping up. The upswing is harder for one reason: It’s a longer stroke with a longer loop to it. It requires more time. When I say “get on top of the ball,” I don’t mean to swing down or chop, but to get your sights higher and level out your swing more. Nine times out of ten when you fail to make contact with a pitch you have swung under it.

fSy7gEL.png
IY8Zon9.jpg
1HeWQQ6.jpg

In fact, he said the baseball swing was the "opposite of a chop"....

HAe1wfn.png

Jun 8, 2016
Uh no. All of Ted Williams teachings were a "slight upswing", all of his illustrations and photos showed the barrel coming around and under the rear shoulder. Reread the chapter "Up, Up Is The Way" for this...

fSy7gEL.png
IY8Zon9.jpg
1HeWQQ6.jpg

In fact, he said the baseball swing was the "opposite of a chop"....

HAe1wfned.png
I think there is an audio clip of Ted saying something which may(?) contradict what his book says which I think WW might be referring to...🤷🏽‍♂️

Apr 11, 2015
I think there is an audio clip of Ted saying something which may(?) contradict what his book says which I think WW might be referring to...🤷🏽‍♂️
That was wrt the swing being a "push", that got some to believe he was advocating "pushing" or swinging with the arms, which they interpreted as contradicting his "the hips lead the way" tenet.

Jun 8, 2016
That was wrt the swing being a "push", that got some to believe he was advocating "pushing" or swinging with the arms, which they interpreted as contradicting his "the hips lead the way" tenet.
Not sure that is the one..hopefully WW will clarify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802