Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
he said it was akin to swinging an axe Mud, that is a chop.is there any other way to swing an axe? LOL. Nobody is saying it doesn’t go up. LOL. but you have to swing it down first!
Everyone who's ever fallen a tree with an axe, knows that there's two types of swings needed to accomplish it (one that's the correct for hitting, and one that is incorrect)....
3NgHTbE.gif

The axe head (barrel) coming over the shoulder to "swing down" is incorrect when hitting a baseball...
1624908334458-gif.22716

...and not what Ted ever advocated.

The axe head (barrel) being brought around and under the rear shoulder is what all MLB hitters do....
oLorlXi.gif
1FYMdJR.gif

....and what Ted showed and talked about through his entire book.

edit: don’t make me find the Williams ‘swing down‘ quote again!
Please do, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in seeing it.

double edit: it’s even in his book. ‘Get on top‘ etc etc.
I already quoted him wrt "Get on top". He said, and I quote....
When I say “get on top of the ball,” I don’t mean to swing down or chop, but to get your sights higher and level out your swing more. Nine times out of ten when you fail to make contact with a pitch you have swung under it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
As far as my original question, the Ferris wheel is the only way the barrel goes up through contact. A chop or the crappy examples don’t go up through contact, they continue down.
I mean this conversation has been beaten to death already on here but even TM says players swing down not that his word is Gospel or anything but I figured that would maybe get you to shush... :LOL:

Reactions: TDS
Jun 8, 2016
If nothing else I will be able to have Marcela get me some firewood this winter after reading this thread..of course all 95 lbs of her might be able to chop down 1 tree in the 3 months of winter..

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Care to explain why it sucks. Honest question, does blast tell you the angle the ball comes off the bat or the angle you are swinging the bat

Blast tells you the angle your swinging the bat. It can also tell you ball flight metrics if you choose to do it.

The video sucks because they said launch angle happens after contact. And you create the launch angle with your bat after contact.

edit, they said the bat creates the launch angle after contact.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802