Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Down to causes the front shoulder to pull off early and bad bat path

TTB causes the barrel to drop

Both issues are the most prevalent I see in players

The brain is good. It will tell the hands what to do. Work on using the body.

I think the reason many pros work on down to is because of pop ups. Most foul balls are misses under.

Dec 12, 2020
@Work=wins is this the pattern you are referring to? I agree with Mudder's last post, but feel like this chop makes sense when in sequence when the handle is torqued.
4c84985ff5c3a0bcf04ab44a5fa72eb1.gif

Dec 12, 2020
I'm a noob here, so feel free to shoot me down; just trying to follow these discussions with somewhat understanding as best as possible.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Uh no. All of Ted Williams teachings were a "slight upswing", all of his illustrations and photos showed the barrel coming around and under the rear shoulder. Reread the chapter "Up, Up Is The Way" for this...

fSy7gEL.png
IY8Zon9.jpg
1HeWQQ6.jpg

In fact, he said the baseball swing was the "opposite of a chop"....

HAe1wfn.png

he said it was akin to swinging an axe Mud, that is a chop.is there any other way to swing an axe? LOL. Nobody is saying it doesn’t go up. LOL. but you have to swing it down first!

edit: don’t make me find the Williams ‘swing down‘ quote again!

double edit: it’s even in his book. ‘Get on top‘ etc etc.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m at universal studios posting in between ‘fun’ nauseating activities that an older man should no longer have to endure. 🤢
I went there once went on 1 ride and then told my wife (then GF) to never take me to another amusement park ever again..I think it was a kiddie ride.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Phone is gonna die. The ‘on top‘ portion is similar to the barrel ‘getting behind’ in your description @Mudders Brudder but the pros talk on top and short to.

on top is much much better IMO, keeps the back shoulder, barrel up longer and let’s the hands lead the barrel and back shoulder to the swing plane which is the pro model.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
As far as my original question, the Ferris wheel is the only way the barrel goes up through contact. A chop or the crappy examples don’t go up through contact, they continue down.🥎🥎🥎😜

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478