Swing critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
Any tips on this swing? It went for a stand up triple in the gap; perhaps could have been caught by a more speedy OF as the trajectory was a bit steep but it was over their heads. It seems to be a short, quick swing with not much load which is what we're trying to work on getting more of. But, is she okay with not loading as much as we'd like to see or extending as much. She's been having success so, not sure we should change much, but no HR power. You can slow it up in the YouTube settings.
Thanks for any input.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Any tips on this swing? It went for a stand up triple in the gap; perhaps could have been caught by a more speedy OF as the trajectory was a bit steep but it was over their heads. It seems to be a short, quick swing with not much load which is what we're trying to work on getting more of. But, is she okay with not loading as much as we'd like to see or extending as much. She's been having success so, not sure we should change much, but no HR power. You can slow it up in the YouTube settings.
Thanks for any input.

Wow, amazing how some kids swing a bat. When I get home I’ll comment.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Foot work is off. She doesn’t coil before release and after release she moves the back foot, which you would lose any coil. Stride is after release.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks for any input.

it’s hard to change when you’re having success. I would work on hitting balls on a line over the second basemen while maintaining her angles w balls away and middle. Then I would see if she can put the same swing on it while hitting it to lcf on pitches inside. My guess is she struggles w balls away.

Oct 3, 2019
it’s hard to change when you’re having success. I would work on hitting balls on a line over the second basemen while maintaining her angles w balls away and middle. Then I would see if she can put the same swing on it while hitting it to lcf on pitches inside. My guess is she struggles w balls away.
Actually, she has been hitting a lot of line drives, mostly through the middle infield, some to right center. This is the dilemma; we know she has some issues, but she's seeing hard hits falling and having confidence. We're just afraid to mess with it too much right now. Maybe small, incremental changes, especially with her feet which has been a common theme. We'll try to key in on those outside pitches and see what she's doing with them specifically. I'm not a coach so don't have the same kind of eye in that regard.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Actually, she has been hitting a lot of line drives, mostly through the middle infield, some to right center. This is the dilemma; we know she has some issues, but she's seeing hard hits falling and having confidence. We're just afraid to mess with it too much right now. Maybe small, incremental changes, especially with her feet which has been a common theme. We'll try to key in on those outside pitches and see what she's doing with them specifically. I'm not a coach so don't have the same kind of eye in that regard.

if anything you can work on timing. At a cage or w front toss or side toss. I would like to see her moving a bit before pitch release. Eventually the pitching gets faster and she will need to have more rhythm and timing. Just create an environment where she needs to start her load before pitch release. Meaning faster reaction time. Video and post. That will help moving forward w any instruction or cues to help her in the future.

May 12, 2016
Thanks for any input.

Hi Jeannie, she "steps in the bucket" a little. Curious how she's been hitting the low outside pitch, I'm assuming she has some issues with it?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
It's the typical stride with hip opening instead of closing/coiling inward

Practice dry strides and coil hips and shoulders 45 degrees inward to toe touch

Time is your enemy, you should stop everything else you're doing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802