Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
Thanks bonesaw. You recommended the low tee way back after my very first post. We worked some this evening.

Let me ask you this. The last month she seems to really fall out of posture when her shoulders get upside down at toe touch, kind of arching her back even. Any fear that will worsen with a low tee? Or am I thinking of this wrong?

That is one of the reasons for the low tee. You have to swing it down to swing it up with a low tee. Cant drop it and swing it up. (Edit) She wouldnt be able to touch the ball getting the shoulders inverted like that

Nov 18, 2015
I went back and double checked, and no, it wasn't. The following two at bats, yes

I feel the need to defend that gentleman a little. I totally get it from the outside looking in, but he has been an incredible coach and a very, very good friend. Our dynamic is different from much TB, and he would do anything for my two daughters (I have another on the team, her swings will be here soon lol), as well as anyone else he coaches. He has proved to me time and time again there is nothing more important than their development on and off the field.

That said aside, again, I totally get the dufus perception
In my eagerness to post a snarky reply, I ignored that inner voice that said "you don't know the coach, you don't know his relationship with the kids, and you just got in trouble (slightly) yourself for some mis-understood sarcasm (@#$! face coverings....), in short - you don't know the whole story". At some point, I'll learn that lesson. Clearly - tonight wasn't it.

I can only imagine the labels that would be applied to me if some of my past practices were posted here. I'm glad there is more to the story with this coach, and that it sounds like his heart is in the right place.

But...can you let him know that the strike zone is where the ball crosses the plate, not where the "catcher" catches it? ;)

Jun 8, 2016
In my eagerness to post a snarky reply, I ignored that inner voice that said "you don't know the coach, you don't know his relationship with the kids, and you just got in trouble (slightly) yourself for some mis-understood sarcasm (@#$! face coverings....), in short - you don't know the whole story". At some point, I'll learn that lesson. Clearly - tonight wasn't it.

I can only imagine the labels that would be applied to me if some of my past practices were posted here. I'm glad there is more to the story with this coach, and that it sounds like his heart is in the right place.

But...can you let him know that the strike zone is where the ball crosses the plate, not where the "catcher" catches it? ;)
You were not the only one who "opened mouth, inserted foot"... ;)

Feb 25, 2020
Thanks bonesaw. You recommended the low tee way back after my very first post. We worked some this evening.

Let me ask you this. The last month she seems to really fall out of posture when her shoulders get upside down at toe touch, kind of arching her back even. Any fear that will worsen with a low tee? Or am I thinking of this wrong?

This might make more sense.

If you just imagine theres a ball on a low tee there in the on deck circle haha.

Or watch that chipper jones one with harold reynolds. Same idea.

I wouldnt use the tee for "full swings" I would use it to make swings like trout does in the on deck circle and chipper does in the cage.

Oct 26, 2019
Lately we have been talking about how in basketball and soccer she wants the ball in critical times, and that this is a moment to "have the ball."

I'll work on relating overcoming a previous fear. She's a bright kid, she gets it, just has to fight.
Yep - that’s a good plan. “There would be no courage without fear.” It’s always going to be a part of the game. It helped my daughter just getting her to admit that this is one of those things that no one else can help you with. It’s a monster that you have to kill on your own that will make the next base hit you get that much sweeter!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This might make more sense.

If you just imagine theres a ball on a low tee there in the on deck circle haha.

Or watch that chipper jones one with harold reynolds. Same idea.

I wouldnt use the tee for "full swings" I would use it to make swings like trout does in the on deck circle and chipper does in the cage.

I had never really liked this clip, as i just didn't see what i should have. I get what @Bonesaw is saying on this now. I never liked it as it was a swing straight down and i was working with DD to not release hands away from shoulder. Notice in Trouts clip, however, he steps, and pauses for longer than he would in a normal swing, his hands stay up above his shoulder, then after pause he swings.

OPs daughter may get alot out of this, as she is taking hands down before toe touch. I think that is more to the issue vs 'swinging down'. I just think she needs to keep hands high (loaded) until toe touch/heel plant. This would then help the core take over to get the barrel where it needs to be. IMO.

There was one other thing with OPs DD, it looks like during live swings her lead leg is stepping out quite a bit. There was a mention that she was scared, and i think that will just take time in the box, but just thought i would mention it if it wasn't mentioned before. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478