Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
My daughter is 10-U and her swing hasn’t been that good. She would be terrible at practice, both on tosses and the tee.

Then in games she started to foul balls off. The she started to hit the ball in games. Then she started to expect to hit the ball in games. Then she became cemented in the 4 spot on her travel team.

She’d still hit the ball off the tee before games and it would go straight down into the net, then she’d line one into the outfield or hit one through the hole against a pitcher in the game. She’d excel vs your average 10-U pitcher throwing between 35-40. Above or below that, though, she have some trouble adjusting, but that was probably 75% of the pitchers she faced in the fall.

There are girls who look great at practice, and can’t hit in games. So at this age, it seems more about confidence than anything.

At some point my DD needs to improve her swing and we try to get some work in between pitching, which is the priority. Today I had her make some adjustments and it looked a little better. My DD needs more rotation, but if she’s creating a triangle with the swing I’m satisfied - one issue at a time.

Aug 20, 2020
At some point my DD needs to improve her swing and we try to get some work in between pitching, which is the priority. Today I had her make some adjustments and it looked a little better. My DD needs more rotation, but if she’s creating a triangle with the swing I’m satisfied - one issue at a time.

Your daughter uses her lower half very similarly to Sierra Romero, so it wouldn't hurt to look into that before changing her lower half mechanics.

Nov 16, 2017
My daughter is 10-U and her swing hasn’t been that good. She would be terrible at practice, both on tosses and the tee.

Then in games she started to foul balls off. The she started to hit the ball in games. Then she started to expect to hit the ball in games. Then she became cemented in the 4 spot on her travel team.

She’d still hit the ball off the tee before games and it would go straight down into the net, then she’d line one into the outfield or hit one through the hole against a pitcher in the game. She’d excel vs your average 10-U pitcher throwing between 35-40. Above or below that, though, she have some trouble adjusting, but that was probably 75% of the pitchers she faced in the fall.

There are girls who look great at practice, and can’t hit in games. So at this age, it seems more about confidence than anything.

The biggest thing I see is posture. She needs to get short and stay short. Posture is priority #1. You can fix this and that but if you do not have a spinal angle/posture that is right everything else is a waste of time. Above is posted SR. Watch as she starts with a good posture and then gets shorter and stays shorter through contact.

Dec 12, 2020
Just an update, that I'm sorta, kinda...definitely nervous to post.

After 6 consistent weeks hitting, dd took a little over a week off and focused on some throwing based off Wasserman (what a revelation, and another reason DFP has come to my rescue, but I'll save that for a other thread...).

We have started to hit again recently, but I have avoided instruction, as planned, mostly soft toss having her swing hard, keep music DD likes playing, and let her feel things out.

However, the week of no hitting took me down a rabbit hole of instruction and philosophy (DFP has a few dark corners ), and very LONG story short, I found myself getting a 2hr lesson with Mr. Schenck at his Teacherman facility (minutes from I live, and I had no idea).

So, in hopes not to derail this thread as I want to continue to update it, IN RELATION TO MY DD, would anyone consider incorporating his teaching?

So far, I have kept my mouth shut to her about it, but I did like the feel of how quick the barrel turned behind the ball, and my DD gets pretty "armsy." Or just keep rolling with the deltoid drill mixed in and let her swing away?

Here goes...*submit*

Oct 26, 2019
I think at some point you are over instructing and she’s going to get confused. I have taken a lot of my cues with my own kid from this Lantz Wheeler video. Trying to eliminate as many of the internal cues as possible and replace them with external goals. The intent shapes the mechanics.

Dec 12, 2020
I have watched this video before, and totally get it. The phrase "over coach" popped in the thread awhile back, and scared me a bit. Maybe it is time to let it ride, sorta speak.

All the information can be addicting, especially when, speaking for myself, I have yet to have a particular philosophy.

Thanks Towny.

Oct 26, 2019
I have watched this video before, and totally get it. The phrase "over coach" popped in the thread awhile back, and scared me a bit. Maybe it is time to let it ride, sorta speak.

All the information can be addicting, especially when, speaking for myself, I have yet to have a particular philosophy.

Thanks Towny.
I would encourage you to think about what you would like to see her improve on and then come up with an external goal that will accomplish what you want in the swing. I’m a big believer in just teaching bat control. Can a kid hit the ball hard with purpose where it is pitched? That should be one of the first skills before graduating to more difficult things.

Jul 29, 2013
I do want to keep the big swing, just want to transfer it to live pitching.
If you want her big swing to transfer to live pitching, STOP WASTING TIME ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN HITTING LIVE PITCHING FROM REGULATION DISTANCE.
I learned this the hard way. My kid could hit the crap out of anything 56mph or less because she spent thousands of hours hitting front toss from 25 feet. Once the pitch got above 56mph she couldn't touch them...always under the ball because she was used to how the ball flew/fell at slower speeds. Then we stopped hitting slow front toss.....only machine pitch from 42 feet ...all speeds. BIG IMPROVEMENT IN GAMES.
Practice what you plan to execute. Then there's no "transition."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28