Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
You mentioned she pulled the slack out...you don't think she should have her hands back (such as where they are when she starts her stance) at the point her toe touches, or at heel plant? Like the visual I see floating around here? I feel like I see it slotting, and her arms get disconnected and her turn isn't a tight or strong as it could be. I don't want to overcoach, and right now we're kind of in a see the ball hit the ball period, but I'd like to keep some type of focus on pattern between games.

I guess what I'm asking is should the elbow slot, hands turn the barrel/knob, and torso rotate all simultaneously?

Appreciate the input, and yes now that you mention it I do see some Miggy in the follow through!

i don’t know why I forgot to reply. Apologies. Her swing in the vid looks like she has got good torso arm/hand synchronization.

the load stride should happen, the shoulders engage the torso, then the arms engage. the hands are last. Some kids need to learn a proper lead arm. Mostly bc it’s not their dominant arm/hand.

lead arms off a high tee can train lead arm usage. I suggest using a load stride so they can feel the sync to the torso. Same can be said for the back arm slotting.

after a good feel is trained move the tee around. Always Try to hit line drives. progress to both arms.

edit: the hands shouldn’t move forward while clearing space. they come forward when launching.[/QUOTE]

No apology needed! I am thankful for any time you spare to help, whenever it is convenient for you.

I'll probably continue to simply work on getting to a stronger launch position. I know you mention her torso to hands sync nicely, but I sometimes wonder if she just doesn't yet have the core strength to get the stretch I envison? If that makes sense..

You mention the hands are last, but I've also come across the idea of them as a trigger of launch...do you have any thoughts on that?

We have never focused too much on the lead arm, so we may sprinkle that in too.

Thanks again!

Dec 12, 2020
Would you like to fix this swing in a couple of days?? It's been 18 months since you first posted.

Here she is during the stride. Notice, instead of going forward (good), she goes back and her head is over her back foot (bad)
View attachment 22065

The she makes things worse, by striding/reaching with the front leg (bad), not the back leg (good). Notice her head is barely past the back heel (green), and it should be 2-4 inches further (yellow>
View attachment 22066

Do dry stride drills (no ball/tee), and work on picking up the front knee and falling onto a very bent front leg. Do not reach with the front leg. Do not let the front knee roll over. Mark the ground with tape for correct head placement, and have her look down after each stride.

Do this for a few days, and problem solved.

This has been our focus, though recently we haven't made a whole lot of time outside of games. As W=W mentioned, she does get her pelvis forward some, which is progress, but we I do agree with your assessment. Early in our journey we began very heavy weighted on the stride foot, then found ourselves stuck way back, now we are attempting to consolidate these extremes.

We worked some simple strides this evening as you mention, and will each day. I like it because we can take a quick moment to do so anywhere, anytime.

One concept I took early from you is the top hand forearm parallel with the ground. That really seems to make a difference, even if she fails to stretch...as she does with this swing. Not sure if it is an absolute, but thank you for that.

One other thing...4.5 months. 4.5 months ago I posted for the 1st time, not 18 I'm sure I will be posting still in 18 months, just not there yet!

Thanks again for your time.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
i don’t know why I forgot to reply. Apologies. Her swing in the vid looks like she has got good torso arm/hand synchronization.

the load stride should happen, the shoulders engage the torso, then the arms engage. the hands are last. Some kids need to learn a proper lead arm. Mostly bc it’s not their dominant arm/hand.

lead arms off a high tee can train lead arm usage. I suggest using a load stride so they can feel the sync to the torso. Same can be said for the back arm slotting.

after a good feel is trained move the tee around. Always Try to hit line drives. progress to both arms.

edit: the hands shouldn’t move forward while clearing space. they come forward when launching.

No apology needed! I am thankful for any time you spare to help, whenever it is convenient for you.

I'll probably continue to simply work on getting to a stronger launch position. I know you mention her torso to hands sync nicely, but I sometimes wonder if she just doesn't yet have the core strength to get the stretch I envison? If that makes sense..

You mention the hands are last, but I've also come across the idea of them as a trigger of launch...do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!
[/QUOTE]

good questions.

first off. YES on continuing to get to a good launch position.

don’t worry about how much stretch she gets. That isn’t something to monitor. Focus on how fast she closes the gap of the stretch. That’s where she will make the most improvement.

yes to the hands being the trigger to the swing. I was referring to how things are loaded, not launched when I mentioned the hands loading last. Launch is all about the hands.

if the lead arm is getting outta the way right before launch. That’s correct.

does she have an issue w dropping hands? Just a question.

Dec 12, 2020

Thanks again!

good questions.

don’t worry about how much stretch she gets. That isn’t something to monitor. Focus on how fast she closes the gap of the stretch. That’s where she will make the most improvement.

yes to the hands being the trigger to the swing. I was referring to how things are loaded, not launched when I mentioned the hands loading last. Launch is all about the hands.

does she have an issue w dropping hands? Just a question.[/QUOTE]

I guess never much an issue with hands dropping, I just may have viewed it that way when what she actually does is launching early and/or not getting to launch on time.

Hands loaded last, makes a ton of sense.

Focusing on closing the gap...would that be the moment from launch to contact? I like the thought of that.

Dec 12, 2020
2020 counts double :)

" top hand forearm parallel with the ground. That really seems to make a difference, even if she fails to stretch...as she does with this swing. Not sure if it is an absolute, "

See if this helps
View attachment 22073
I have printed this poster size and is on the wall at home where we swing.

And yes, 2020 certainly counts as double, my mistake there.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
good questions.

does she have an issue w dropping hands? Just a question.

I guess never much an issue with hands dropping, I just may have viewed it that way when what she actually does is launching early and/or not getting to launch on time.

Focusing on closing the gap...would that be the moment from launch to contact? I like the thought of that.
[/QUOTE]

yes. keeping the lower closed so the upper can catch up via the hands. I think your dd does a good job of that. Notice the hands are launching before the hips go.

this is a good dry swing drill for feel. Notice the hand position at start. . Notice how square he keeps his lower half. Nothing opening. her regular bat will work for this. Don’t need a whippy implement. do 10 dry then hit 10 balls. Alternate. Great sequence drill.

1620907729084.gif

Dec 12, 2020

yes. keeping the lower closed so the upper can catch up via the hands. I think your dd does a good job of that. Notice the hands are launching before the hips go.

this is a good dry swing drill for feel. Notice the hand position at start. . Notice how square he keeps his lower half. Nothing opening. her regular bat will work for this. Don’t need a whippy implement. do 10 dry then hit 10 balls. Alternate. Great sequence drill.

View attachment 22076[/QUOTE]
Are you recommending maintaining that split grip when hitting during this drill? 10 dry just as you illustrated it, then 10 with a ball just as also?

"Notice the hands are launching before the hips go."

A common phrase I hear always is "hips then hands." Would that just be referring to the final "stretch" at heel plant, but the instant they actually fire is when the hands say go?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

View attachment 22076
Are you recommending maintaining that split grip when hitting during this drill? 10 dry just as you illustrated it, then 10 with a ball just as also?

"Notice the hands are launching before the hips go."

A common phrase I hear always is "hips then hands." Would that just be referring to the final "stretch" at heel plant, but the instant they actually fire is when the hands say go?
[/QUOTE]

split grip only dry, It’s more for sequencing. So her hands to stay back a bit longer. Do it w high tee so she will have to be down to.

the split grip helps spacing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812