Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Her shoulders are upside down because of her move out, not HR derby. Don’t ask me how to fix it.

Dec 12, 2020
Her shoulders are upside down because of her move out, not HR derby. Don’t ask me how to fix it.
I agree with this. The fear and hesitation stalls her move out, compromising her final hitting position.

I was worried when Saw pointed out the homerun derby swing, it was a legit obeservation, and we were very proactive after to focus on keeping her hands inside and active near her shoulder, moving with her shoulder.

But she gets armsy when scared and rushed.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I agree with this. The fear and hesitation stalls her move out, compromising her final hitting position.

I was worried when Saw pointed the out the homerun derby swing, it was a legit obeservation, and we were very proactive after to focus on keeping her hands inside and active near her shoulder, moving with her shoulder.

But she gets armsy when scared and rushed.
I played HR derby all the time as a kid (albeit not off the tee ) Doing that one time isn’t causing the upside down shoulders..At her age having the intent to mash the ball as far as she can is a good thing.

Good luck with the move out..my kid still hasn’t figured it out mainly because I think it is partly (mainly?) a mental thing as you mentioned. That part of her swing has actually got worse as she has gotten older as she lost the “just attack the damn ball” attitude she had when she was younger...

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
I played HR derby all the time as a kid (albeit not off the tee ) Doing that one time isn’t causing the upside down shoulders..At her age having the intent to mash the ball as far as she can is a good thing.

Good luck with the move out..my kid still hasn’t figured it out mainly because I think it is partly (mainly?) a mental thing as you mentioned. That part of her swing has actually got worse as she has gotten older as she lost the “just attack the damn ball” attitude she had when she was younger...

I am just not sure about this "move out" thing people on here talk about. By that I mean I am sure it is overcoaching and a waste of time and actually counterproductive for a 10 year old.

Also, I am trying to figure out where "things pattar did when he was a kid" ranks on the list of pertinent hitting tips.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Right now we are certainly at "see the ball, hit the ball" especially at gametime, though I feel she has to be conscious of getting to a position to launch too..

I don't think she knows exactly what particular stretching she should feel (or should I say how it should feel) (particular obliques, back, etc), she does however have a good idea, and definitely can point it out afterwards on video, if her hands are staying back & forearm parallel with the ground when she gets her front foot down, and even if the hip has a late coil too(this is kinda new). So not necessarily stretch in this forums technical understanding, but seeing it artificially, per say.

Those previous two videos of her little sister pitching to her, the first she saw herself starting to fire her swing as her foot would come down (elbow slotting, hands lowering), the 2nd she tried to pull back simultaneously as her body went forward.
'yes yes no' attitude being at launch position when the front toe touches? The dance that's unique to her before launch position will change many times as she gets comfortable.

It's so easy to get lost with looking for perfection in this game where 'failure' usually dominates.

Jun 8, 2016
I am just not sure about this "move out" thing people on here talk about. By that I mean I am sure it is overcoaching and a waste of time and actually counterproductive for a 10 year old.
I think striding out properly is important 🤷‍♂️ If you don't that is fine, you are entitled to your opinion.

Reactions: TDS
Dec 12, 2020
'yes yes no' attitude being at launch position when the front toe touches? The dance that's unique to her before launch position will change many times as she gets comfortable.

It's so easy to get lost with looking for perfection in this game where 'failure' usually dominates.

I agree. And though I'm on here most often with criticism, it is only because of my respect of other members input, and it helps me to stay motivated as well. The conversation here is much different than home convo...usually (I'm only human, and even worse, a dad).

To be clear I am so very proud of her and the work she has put in. And though I do stress that hard work doesn't provide certain results, I do want to put her in the best position to get positive ones. I do my very best to be encouraging personally to her, but fruits of her own labor will excite her the most.

Dec 12, 2020

Also, I am trying to figure out where "things pattar did when he was a kid" ranks on the list of pertinent hitting tips.

I certainly don't want to overcomplicate things, and I can overcoach with the best of them, but she likes to stride, and if fear restrains her and she doesn't get to a point where her belly button and back knee has gained some ground, she reaches with her front leg and it is tough to keep her shoulders from getting "upside down." I'm just trying to get her into a strong position to swing.

I'm very happy where she is at, just want to continue building courage (while I continue to fish for insight here..).

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Bonesaw, its about getting into a leveraged position before swinging, That's if you're hoping to leverage all available resources.

c30mmxd.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
the Upside down shoulders is intent based imo with this young hitter. And the big leg kick. Her father put up a fence and gave her a new goal of HRs. So now she is swinging for HRs. You can see the differences before and after.

I always thought hitting line drives was the most skilled outcome. As well as an unselfish team approach. So thats what should be preached. Hit it through the fence. Not over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812