Swing and miss purposely!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Can you or have you ever tried to coach the deliberate swing and miss? I have witnessed many times when a hitters slightly fooled and timing is a little off (early launch) and in order to make contact the hitter instinctively and inadvertently slows the barrel down.
So say the count is 3 and 1 with runners on. Hitter is looking/ guessing FB. Pitcher throws off speed away. Can you coach a hitter to swing over it. Miss the ball intentionally instead of hitting a weak GB? Get another pitch.
I believe there are pros that employ this. I think of Josh Hamilton. Sometimes he would sorely miss the ball by 15 inches or more and I would be thinking, this guy sucks. Then he would hit a HR on the next pitch.

Aug 20, 2017
3-1 count, we are looking hard stuff and taking everything else. Now if we’ve got charts on a pitcher and know tendencies we may look off speed but I doubt it. Approach matters! So I’m gonna coach the hitter to take that change up

May 11, 2014
Gasso use this technique sometimes when stealing bases to move the defense around a little, the deliberate swing and miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802