Swing analysis 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
1649983414095.gif

Aesthetically pleasing isn’t something I would hang my hat on. It’s all arms. There is no ‘hips’ in the swing. Swings around the body are very easy to fall in love with. But don’t get past good 12u travel pitching. She looks like a good athlete. I would learn about posture (hip line) and how that effects tilt of the body and swing so she can be more direct to the ball without losing her legs or core. Posture is fundamental.

Sep 17, 2009
Shawn's advice is good (if a bit salty :) ). One thing you can do before spending time showing her video and over-instructing her on technical mechanics is to do more purposeful tee work. Have her work on two things on the tee: 1) hitting the ball harder off the tee, 2) doing some opposite field tee work. In each case she'll have to figure out how to recruit her body to accomplish those things. The first *could* get her to create and use some coil and stretch (or she could just arm-swing harder) it will be up to you or her instructor to help her understand the difference. Moving the tee up and down will get her to naturally understand tilt and shoulder alignment. The second hitting goal will help her feel and understand swing path, separation and the corner Shawn talks about. Again, the act of working on actual hitting goals will keep her interested, you adjusting her will keep her on the right path and teach her how to learn new swing concepts. Good luck. She's starting from a great spot.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Most hitting coaches would see the arms involved and teach the hands. I would teach the hands also.

I like the helicopter drill. I would use this aid that stretches between from just above the lead elbow to the wrist of the top hand. It gives the hitter a feel for maintaining the space between the elbows.

17B351B4-DD0E-4DD0-BEC4-8356C2C524C3.jpeg

You try to maintain the stretch as you swing.

Another is going very rigid.

The least expensive is a rubber play ball. That I would place between the top hand and body.

All take the arms out of the lead and teach the arms to support the hands.

May 23, 2019
Just a small update: It's funny makes things click with kids, this when we started with the helicopter drill she immediately noticed how much louder the "woosh" sound was when using her hands during her swing. She looked at me and said "that was loud" and I said "that's power" and just like that she was sold lol

I said this before but thanks for all the input

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just a small update: It's funny makes things click with kids, this when we started with the helicopter drill she immediately noticed how much louder the "woosh" sound was when using her hands during her swing. She looked at me and said "that was loud" and I said "that's power" and just like that she was sold lol

I said this before but thanks for all the input

For some reason the helicopter drill gives a great feel of the hands TTB. The arms seem to completely support the hands in the helicopter drill.

May 23, 2019
We got the hands involved! She's still working on it of course but she hit some absolute shots this weekend!

Now to figure out how to keep those elbows from collapsing together 😅

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-164006_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-164006_Photos.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 26

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Swing From Today

Looking for some analysis on dd swing, 8yo first spring in 10u. Has about 25 at bats against girls now actually trying to get her out. So far she mostly hits ground balls anything up the middle is usually hard but will roll over to short or third at times.
See a lot of Sierra in Ximena. Would take a look at the path of the bottom elbow and bottom hand.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
384e3d4d-6880-4d1f-94f1-c6933e3823b1-gif.25331

She gives up the coil, no stretch, no connection between her lowerbody and upper body.

Starts with the hands beyond the back foot as she shifts (weight shifts) forward and slots the back elbow. Or all back and all forward. In any case the hands/bat collapse into the body as they come forward.

What loads unloads.

View attachment 25337

just tighten the hand pivot
Hi guys.....glad to see some/same being so passionate about hitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812