Swing analysis 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She moves well (athletic) !! just tighten the hand pivot. Don't spend time micro managing every movement which removes the athleticism from her.
Yes, to this advice. The detriod/neck slot drill or that swing rail thing will help. In other words, her hands should remain close to her arm pit longer.

Reactions: TDS
Jun 8, 2016
View attachment 25338
We're going to work on this for the rest of the spring! Thanks for all the advice is just what I was looking for. I know some of it is advanced for an 8 year old but I will try to plant some seeds... I mostly just try to keep her smiling when we practice
You have a good attitude towards it. Good luck.

Oct 26, 2019
IMO I regret doing a bunch of stuff with my DD at that age and earlier. It's one if the most stupidest things I did. I really wish I could change that, but water under the bridge. All that to say leave her alone and if your going to work on stuff, help her with timing. If you want to do the helicopter drill. Go for it, but beyond that, my suggestion is do nothing. She doesn't look to have any major issues that is going to hinder her at this point.

Do you have a video with a pitcher in view to see when she gets going?
I’m not directing this at you just more of a general statement that goes along with what you said above which is why I quoted it.

Somewhere along the way adults got the idea that teaching the finer points of mechanics and the finer points of the game to young kids is fun for them. It is not fun for them it’s just fun for us. Kids have fun being a part of a team and competing. Let’s teach them how to do that and when they are older if they want to continue in the game let them steer the ship and seek out higher level instruction.

Oct 2, 2017
I’m not directing this at you just more of a general statement that goes along with what you said above which is why I quoted it.

Somewhere along the way adults got the idea that teaching the finer points of mechanics and the finer points of the game to young kids is fun for them. It is not fun for them it’s just fun for us. Kids have fun being a part of a team and competing. Let’s teach them how to do that and when they are older if they want to continue in the game let them steer the ship and seek out higher level instruction.
I like labeling it like that, "the finer points of mechanics". Indeed they find not fun by and large. The young player just wants to pick up the bat go out and have fun and hit the ball. I can pretty much guarantee that at that age and even a bit older, they do not retain and or understand 90% of what's being told to them concerning mechanics. Above all they really don't even understand why they are even being told to do it.

It's amazing what maturing in age does for this sport. I was talking to our teams HC about our hitting and me and him both agreed that so far this season of 12u is the best we have ever seen these girls hit as a team since coach pitch LOL. Starting at the beginning of 10u we had roughly about 1/4 to maybe half of the team could consistently hit. The rest struggle quite a bit. Now it seems like there isn't a girl on the team who can't put the bat on the ball. Especially for the ones who always struggled. It simply takes time for these players to really start to blossom in the sport. Heck just over the weekend, we had out first player to hit one over!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What does it mean to maintain a corner?

And what does a slingshot look like?

Done and Done,

In terms a 8 year would understand, turn your belly button toward your back leg.

The corner is created (rear hip socket), keep the corner as the rear hip/femur moves forward to stretch the whole system.

EBB9ACF6-6E94-41E6-A8EC-544DC6B022C3.gif
2A5C94E3-6AEA-410B-9F41-E2C0F9386D2B.gif

What the youngster is doing is moving away from the back leg. Hips move away from the back hip/femur, weight shifts forward. Losing any load and any chance to stretch. Her hip/pelvis rotate away from the back leg.

31C5E9D3-87F7-421C-B944-28AA3C889FFF.gif

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
I like labeling it like that, "the finer points of mechanics". Indeed they find not fun by and large. The young player just wants to pick up the bat go out and have fun and hit the ball. I can pretty much guarantee that at that age and even a bit older, they do not retain and or understand 90% of what's being told to them concerning mechanics. Above all they really don't even understand why they are even being told to do it.

It's amazing what maturing in age does for this sport. I was talking to our teams HC about our hitting and me and him both agreed that so far this season of 12u is the best we have ever seen these girls hit as a team since coach pitch LOL. Starting at the beginning of 10u we had roughly about 1/4 to maybe half of the team could consistently hit. The rest struggle quite a bit. Now it seems like there isn't a girl on the team who can't put the bat on the ball. Especially for the ones who always struggled. It simply takes time for these players to really start to blossom in the sport. Heck just over the weekend, we had out first player to hit one over!
Exactly. You have a small window when they are young to train intent and a love of the game. There is no pot of the gold at the end of the softball rainbow for these kids. Have fun. Learn. Try your best.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What is comparing apple to oranges?
Yes as Pattar said. Just because we can see the problems, doesn’t mean an 8 year old can correct the problems. Saying her swing is good isn’t correct. What is correct is she is only 8 years old.

I get it all the time, you show them, explain it and they do nothing like it. So you scratch your head and look for little victories in their development of the basics. 1% better everyday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812