Swing analysis 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2019
Swing From Today

Looking for some analysis on dd swing, 8yo first spring in 10u. Has about 25 at bats against girls now actually trying to get her out. So far she mostly hits ground balls anything up the middle is usually hard but will roll over to short or third at times.

May 16, 2019
IMO that's a great swing far above her age level. Stay the course and don't over coach her. I'm sure we can all find something to point out but is it worth it as this point in her development?
The more I look at her swing, I would add one drill called the helicopter drill to her workouts . Not a lot of explanation needed but more of a feel drill. Here is an example of the drill.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
The more I look at her swing, I would add one drill called the helicopter drill to her workouts . Not a lot of explanation needed but more of a feel drill. Here is an example of the drill.

Yes she is very young and she is a much better hitter than I was at the same age. I don't know if it's because of the way I taught her but while she is practicing she really likes to have one thing to focus on.

Thanks for the drill we will try it out today!

As I look at the drill it makes sense that most of her hits are to second base/ right field
Even when she doesn't seem late to the ball

The one pitch she pulled this year was an absolute rocket

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She early extends or loses posture so she swings around her body. Posture changes after foot down normally. Not while the front foot is in the air.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She early extends or loses posture so she swings around her body. Posture changes after foot down normally. Not while the front foot is in the air.
This ^^^^ is true. This is why she is hitting GBs. That being said, she is miles ahead of most 8 year olds. Congrats.
Try this drill in order to help her stay in posture. Get a 8 or 10"cone to use as a tee. Face an imaginary pitcher and set the task of hitting flyballs to LF. The cone will have to be a inside and little out in front and she will have to remain in her posture in order to hit flyballs/line drives.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Here she is at toe touch (after stride, before she begins to swing forward):

2021-0411-1-0.00.00.00.png

1. The back foot should be pointed at the plate. This angle inhibits full hip rotation

2. She lets the front knee roll over prematurely (lost some free leverage to get the front hip open).

[both knees should be pointed at the plate at toe touch]

3. The rear forearm is vertical (bad, green) vs horizontal (good, yellow). The bat is flat (green, bad) vs up/55 deg (yellow, good). This loses all the free leverage she could have over the bat, and forces her to drag the bat around slowly.

Do dry strides to toe touch to fix this. Stride to toe touch and check the positions. That's it. This will save you thousands in hitting lessons.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
This ^^^^ is true. This is why she is hitting GBs. That being said, she is miles ahead of most 8 year olds. Congrats.
Try this drill in order to help her stay in posture. Get a 8 or 10"cone to use as a tee. Face an imaginary pitcher and set the task of hitting flyballs to LF. The cone will have to be a inside and little out in front and she will have to remain in her posture in order to hit flyballs/line drives.
Thanks for the tip, I've seen these really short tees before never really knew scat that was about, will try this one out

May 23, 2019
Here she is at toe touch (after stride, before she begins to swing forward):

View attachment 25329

1. The back foot should be pointed at the plate. This angle inhibits full hip rotation

2. She lets the front knee roll over prematurely (lost some free leverage to get the front hip open).

[both knees should be pointed at the plate at toe touch]

3. The rear forearm is vertical (bad, green) vs horizontal (good, yellow). The bat is flat (green, bad) vs up/55 deg (yellow, good). This loses all the free leverage she could have over the bat, and forces her to drag the bat around slowly.

Do dry strides to toe touch to fix this. Stride to toe touch and check the positions. That's it. This will save you thousands in hitting lessons.
Is there a name for these angles? Do you have a picture of someone doing it properly?

Also a quick question on hitting lessons, what age do you think they could start seeing a coach my dd will be 9 after this season and i honestly was thinking maybe like 11 or 12 because I feel like if they can't really explain what they are feeling and why their body is doing what it's doing then it might not be worth it?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Also a quick question on hitting lessons, what age do you think they could start seeing a coach my dd will be 9 after this season.
I wouldn't bother with lessons.
She is already ahead of the crowd. I would employ some of these drills maybe some of efastball angles. The back foot in duck foot position is weak and very easy to fix. I like the back foot turned in more than pointed at the plate. (toes pointed slightly towards 1st base) Enough free info here. Just go slow and one tweak at a time. If and when you get a hitting coach, make sure he is highly qualified and uses video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom