Swing adjustments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
Do you believe this:
https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1072022581262245889?s=21

Is the same as this:
https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1048753684648058881?s=21

As far as Judge is concerned. He is on pace to strike out more then anyone in MLB history(at bat to k ratio). Enough said there. How are the other disciples of the ‘HI’ level pattern fairing? I believe most are platooning for a spot next season at best? Correct me if I’m wrong.

I do appreciate you acknowledging that it’s a DIFFERENT philosophy and not the MLB philosophy. Most will claim it’s the same thing. They are different . No doubt.

As far as band aids are concerned... when ‘one leg’ is emphasized or ‘pulling back’ is emphasized or even ‘snap it’ is emphasized. There is a something else lacking in the sequence. Such as balance and or proper hand action. This has been my experience through the years. ‘Stay back’ or ‘coil’ or ‘ride the rear leg’ are balancing issues which lead to timing issues . Something else is outta whack for cues like this to surface imo.

When the sequence is taught with the goal of balance throughout and the torso as the main engine , none of these cues pertain at all. They aren’t necessary. Band aids so to speak.

Lastly, if the hands launch the swing, and the swing is in the shift, How does the adjustment for offspeed happen? With the eyes?

Sorry I took so long to respond.

And he also led major league baseball in walks, homers, and runs. Two time all star and runner up in MVP in his first two years. Silly to say he's not excelling.

Adjustments happen by continuing to coil. The Bonds clip is a great example.

If you have to fire your torso engine then fire your hand engine how are adjustments made? Also how many frames is Bagwell from launch to contact?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
And he also led major league baseball in walks, homers, and runs. Two time all star and runner up in MVP in his first two years. Silly to say he's not excelling.

Adjustments happen by continuing to coil. The Bonds clip is a great example.

If you have to fire your torso engine then fire your hand engine how are adjustments made? Also how many frames is Bagwell from launch to contact?

The one good year Judge had. He led the AL in HRs etc. Not the MLB. He led the MLB ONLY in Ks.

Bonds had already shifted in that clip, so coil wasn’t maintained. He actually shifted to a 50/50 or 40/60 and still had his hands back because he had 2 engines and he wasn’t all in at launch.Notice COM moving from back to middle? That’s shift. That’s how adjustments are made with 2 engines. I hope your not saying Judge and Bonds are a match. The 2 sequences couldn’t be more polar opposite imo.

The torso engine is a ‘running start’ type of engine which starts running at gather and runs all the way through the sequence.It starts running right before the release of the pitch and continues running all the way through til follow through.

The hand engine becomes activated later on in the sequence which provides ‘late adjustability’ and later commitment or decommitment to any said pitch. So firing one engine and then the other is an incomplete description.

The torso engine is on and ‘running’ from the start. The hand engine is the only thing that needs ‘firing’ at this point which is done a tad after the ‘shift’(depending on timing , hint hint adjustability).

I appreciate the back and forth.

Here’s Trout and JD adjusting with their torso engine and hand engines. Notice COM shifted before the hands go? Got any clips of AJ adjusting to offspeed? I have never seen one.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1043341984281153537?s=21

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1053094134959894528?s=21

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
The one good year Judge had. He led the AL in HRs etc. Not the MLB. He led the MLB ONLY in Ks.

Bonds had already shifted in that clip, so coil wasn’t maintained. He actually shifted to a 50/50 or 40/60 and still had his hands back because he had 2 engines and he wasn’t all in at launch.Notice COM moving from back to middle? That’s shift. That’s how adjustments are made with 2 engines. I hope your not saying Judge and Bonds are a match. The 2 sequences couldn’t be more polar opposite imo.

The torso engine is a ‘running start’ type of engine which starts running at gather and runs all the way through the sequence.It starts running right before the release of the pitch and continues running all the way through til follow through.

The hand engine becomes activated later on in the sequence which provides ‘late adjustability’ and later commitment or decommitment to any said pitch. So firing one engine and then the other is an incomplete description.

The torso engine is on and ‘running’ from the start. The hand engine is the only thing that needs ‘firing’ at this point which is done a tad after the ‘shift’(depending on timing , hint hint adjustability).

I appreciate the back and forth.

Here’s Trout and JD adjusting with their torso engine and hand engines. Notice COM shifted before the hands go? Got any clips of AJ adjusting to offspeed? I have never seen one.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1043341984281153537?s=21

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1053094134959894528?s=21

I also appreciate the convo.

We call "the bold above" loading. The running start is still part of the loading process.

Is your torso engine different from what others describe? I usually here is described as a "twitch/pulse", a very sudden violent move. Your torso engine description fits the loading process very well.

I think breaking down the Bagwell clip could have been helpful for the discussion.

IMO Bonds is still loading in HR750. That's the adjustability. It's not a certain ratio of weight on the front foot back foot. He's still loaded around the rear hip adjusting to the changeup.

I don't have any AJ adjustment clips. Maybe Craig Hyatt has some on there, I will check it out.

ebMtFU8.gif
[/IMG]
Does this fit the description of the high level adjustability that you mentioned?

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
The Nebraska clip above is a great example of a hip turner. The rear leg is being pulled forward. Trout is turning rear leg which turns the hips. JD, Mookie, Judge, Freeman, Bonds all use rear leg to turn hips.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I also appreciate the convo.

We call "the bold above" loading. The running start is still part of the loading process.

Is your torso engine different from what others describe? I usually here is described as a "twitch/pulse", a very sudden violent move. Your torso engine description fits the loading process very well.

I think breaking down the Bagwell clip could have been helpful for the discussion.

IMO Bonds is still loading in HR750. That's the adjustability. It's not a certain ratio of weight on the front foot back foot. He's still loaded around the rear hip adjusting to the changeup.

I don't have any AJ adjustment clips. Maybe Craig Hyatt has some on there, I will check it out.

ebMtFU8.gif
[/IMG]
Does this fit the description of the high level adjustability that you mentioned?

This is where we differ. I believe Barry remained ‘loaded’. When Barry’s COM goes from back to middle, that in essence is the ‘twitch’ or ‘pivot’ or ‘pulse’ or ‘shift’ which comes before the hands. In order for this happen the coil has to be released. It is impossible to remain coiled and get your COM back to center. Some coil can stay, but 95-100% will dissipate. I don’t see this in AJs swing. His COM always seems to shift with his hands. There doesn’t seem to be any separation there. If you have a clip of COM, hands separation in AJs swing, I would love to see it.

The young lady looks to have jumped the gun with her hand engine imo and is out of sequence.I think because she was ‘loading’ her hands instead of letting her hands ‘load’. Hopefully that makes sense. A pretty common problem. Usually from feeling rushed or anxious is what I have encountered. Some talk of rhythm in the swing and being slow and early with the start of the sequence. Some call it the ‘holy grail’. I for one am a believer in this.

Here’s the COM, hands separation that I’m talking about.
https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1044010163970035713?s=21

His COM centers before his hands come forward. Important imo.The Nebraska player does the same. Just outta sequence imo.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
5EfEDbE.gif
[/IMG]
iuhSO7y.gif
[/IMG]

Best I can do with my limited GIF making ability. Judge continuing to resist until it's time launch the barrel on the off speed....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478