Swapping Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Do you really expect kids to just tryout for one team and if they don't make it, sit out a whole year to "practice harder"? Practicing on your own is great but there is no replacement for practicing with a team. And the games are the fun part for them. No team = no games. Are you supposed to deny your kid a chance to do what she loves because she didn't make the first team she tried out for? Come on now.

I cut that down just for the sake of space ...

Wow, you read those comments in an entirely different light than I did. I don’t think that was the message at all.

Travel/competitive teams are not much different than playing softball in college ... if you are willing to play anywhere, just about anybody can do it. The level of play is what varies.

I read John’s comment to say that there are enough travel teams that any kid whose parents can write a check can find a “competitive” team to play on. That is a title, not a level of play. What that means is “competitive” ball has been watered down by teams of players who didn’t make the talent cut, but the checkbook works to get them in somewhere because the leagues and organizations are more concerned with team count than equitable and good competition.

That is NOT saying a kid shouldn’t play ... that is saying both the kid and the game would be more successful if we provided appropriate levels of play for all kids.

Nov 11, 2019
You know... we don't have this issue really in our org. Sure players come and go - as is their right - but our retention rate is really high. You know why...

Because we don't worry about this; we realize we don't 'own' any player or their family, We concentrate on putting the best program/organization together and for the most part, people want to stay. Or join. We don't burn bridges when players leave - and many come back.

You can't look back to the imaginary 'it was better in my day' - it isn't coming back. And it wasn't btw - it was just different. Frankly, I like that many of the 'old boys networks' have been broken and gone and you don't have to be in the 'in-crowd' to get access anymore. We adapted and flourished - the whiners and complainers are or have been bypassed and yearn for the 'old days'.

Parents make the best decision they can for their kid - right or wrong. You make the decision as hard as possible and wish them luck if they believe they find the right situation somewhere else. Be happy you were part of a kid's development for even a short period of time and be willing to welcome them back if they want to come back.
Amen. We started a 12u team 3 yrs ago with all 10 11 and 12 yr olds. We still have the same team as a 14u team with the exception of 3 girls. And we stlll have our 12u team. We alternate weekends. It just works.

John Robertson

The Voice
Feb 23, 2020

Wow, you read those comments in an entirely different light than I did. I don’t think that was the message at all.

Travel/competitive teams are not much different than playing softball in college ... if you are willing to play anywhere, just about anybody can do it. The level of play is what varies.

I read John’s comment to say that there are enough travel teams that any kid whose parents can write a check can find a “competitive” team to play on. That is a title, not a level of play. What that means is “competitive” ball has been watered down by teams of players who didn’t make the talent cut, but the checkbook works to get them in somewhere because the leagues and organizations are more concerned with team count than equitable and good competition.

That is NOT saying a kid shouldn’t play ... that is saying both the kid and the game would be more successful if we provided appropriate levels of play for all kids.
Thank you Man in Blue for relaying my comment in a way others can understand. Good are bad there is just so many DB parents that if little johnny doesn't play second base because he is not good enough his parents will right a check and start a travel team around Little Johnny. That is all i'm complying.......

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

This.

Mar 28, 2014

Who cares how many teams there are? Girls want to play ball, let them play. Who are we to say that only the top players should be able to play travel ball? I'm glad there is a spot for every girl that wants to play ball. My DD plays A ball but I don't for second think about those girls that are only playing C ball affecting the game of softball in a negative manner. That's why there are different levels of tournaments. C class for those girls and A class for the ones that want to play at the top level.

I Have a ton of respect for the girls that play C class because they are out there busting their tails in practice and games at something that they obviously aren't elite at, yet they still show up to play the game they love to play. More power to them is my attitude.

Mar 28, 2014
Thank you Man in Blue for relaying my comment in a way others can understand. Good are bad there is just so many DB parents that if little johnny doesn't play second base because he is not good enough his parents will right a check and start a travel team around Little Johnny. That is all i'm complying.......
So what? That just means that more kids are playing ball. What's wrong with that? Isn't that what we want? To grow the sport?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Didnt interpret John Roberston (JR :) ) post or The man in blue post as saying its bad there are more teams.
Simply commenting that people team hop a lot now.
Plus more teams popping up.

Go for it start a team.
Hoepful it will be well facilitated and
a great experience!

All levels can experience the
thrill of the game.

It does add an assortment to trying to find 'the right fit' amongst all the mixture.

Last edited:

John Robertson

The Voice
Feb 23, 2020
So what? That just means that more kids are playing ball. What's wrong with that? Isn't that what we want? To grow the sport?
No it means more kids are being pushed by there parents to play ball and the kid would rather be some where else. I love the game but it hurts when I here parents talk about how much it coast them to be on that so called it team. Like it’s some kind of status symbol. Then they go into tournaments and get blown out. I get it I’m also a coach and parent that sends there kid to pitching lessons but I don’t use it as a dam status symbol. No pun intended Texasheat.

May 29, 2015
Who cares how many teams there are? Girls want to play ball, let them play. Who are we to say that only the top players should be able to play travel ball? I'm glad there is a spot for every girl that wants to play ball. My DD plays A ball but I don't for second think about those girls that are only playing C ball affecting the game of softball in a negative manner. That's why there are different levels of tournaments. C class for those girls and A class for the ones that want to play at the top level.

I Have a ton of respect for the girls that play C class because they are out there busting their tails in practice and games at something that they obviously aren't elite at, yet they still show up to play the game they love to play. More power to them is my attitude.

It sounds as if you are in an area where there are enough teams (and fewer delusions) to support a true tiered system with balanced competition. A system like that is what we all would like. That is not the case in many other areas.

Most tournaments around here are either “open” or “B” ... Except nobody wants to be a “C” team, so they call themselves “B”. That actually means all the “C”s playing up balance all the “A”s who are trophy hunting with very few “B”s even existing.

This is what causes such a revolving door with the same faces that John alluded to. My daughter didn’t make the Ultra-Platinum Elite Brady Girls team, but that’s OK because my neighbor is starting a Upper Westside Lady Adamantium Bombers club with his rec girls and we’ll pay to get into the same tournaments.

Then my daughter can tell her school coach she was the number 1 pitcher. It’s OK the team will disband in flames at the end of the year and four of the girls will never play again, because I’ll take the remaining 9 girls and add a power hitting RF (who was also cast off from another “C” team) and create another punching bag team. Did I mention my daughter is our number 1 pitcher?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
It sounds as if you are in an area where there are enough teams (and fewer delusions) to support a true tiered system with balanced competition. A system like that is what we all would like. That is not the case in many other areas.

Most tournaments around here are either “open” or “B” ... Except nobody wants to be a “C” team, so they call themselves “B”. That actually means all the “C”s playing up balance all the “A”s who are trophy hunting with very few “B”s even existing.

Sounds like you are searching for something akin to finding Sasquatch. Complete balance among teams where every game is 4-4 at the end of 7 and goes into ITB. I know, hyperbole, but honestly it's just not realistic IMO. Hell look at college ball and the discrepancy between to the Top 30-40 D1 schools vs. all the rest. Blowouts are common. There will always be the Have's and the Have nots. Just the way things are in life. There are only so many true A class players born jsut like there are only so many Top 30 D1 players born.

This is what causes such a revolving door with the same faces that John alluded to. My daughter didn’t make the Ultra-Platinum Elite Brady Girls team, but that’s OK because my neighbor is starting a Upper Westside Lady Adamantium Bombers club with his rec girls and we’ll pay to get into the same tournaments.

Then my daughter can tell her school coach she was the number 1 pitcher. It’s OK the team will disband in flames at the end of the year and four of the girls will never play again, because I’ll take the remaining 9 girls and add a power hitting RF (who was also cast off from another “C” team) and create another punching bag team. Did I mention my daughter is our number 1 pitcher?

Again, so what? No skin off my back. I couldn't care less what the parents' role is in all of this. If they want to brag, let them brag. The truth will always come out on the field. I refuse to get mentally engaged in worrying about parents bragging about their kids and what teams they play on. I have better things to do with my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802