Swapping Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Like the simple and clear post describing scenario.

Question? what are you referring to in last sentence cast at least as much blame on tournament directors more interest in revenue than hosting a quality event?

Whats not quality?
Is that a seperate issue than all the teams?

Tournaments allowing A/B teams into something advertised as a "C" tournament, and allowing weak teams into expensive events supposedly having better competition. I've repeatedly seen the former play out when there are different divisions in the same age group. The "C" division has plenty of participation, but it becomes an "Open" when there are a couple of A/B teams that also sign up. The TD doesn't want to lose that entry fee and gate, so everything is merged, and the "C" teams that signed up for a "C" tournament now become punching bags.

I also see plenty of weak teams traveling to supposedly higher level events who have the money, but not the ability. Good teams traveling to play good competition end up in a 15-0 game. I saw a bunch of that last summer during "nationals".

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Eventually, those good teams will quit coming to your tournament as well. They will go looking for tournaments where they can find competition. But hey, you got their check for a couple of years!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes recognize that scenario in the "assigned team level by sb venue directors" tournys.

However, on the flip side, thats not happening in so cal.

Invite only tournys showcases and friendlies are more prevalent now do to the mixture levels.

The anyone can can coach
+
Anyone can enter team
+
Big puffy unrealstic ego's

= Is ~has~does cause its own b.s.
( because in tryouts everyone can post "we're playing these tournaments"
* doesnt mean they can compete at all. Really hard for parents to sift thru reality vs ummm...not)

Sooo not certain if assigning team levels is good or bad.

When triple crown does it thru sat pool games performance for sunday tournament day...
Its pretty good!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812