Sup with this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2008
Shame on you for having signs they could pick. Shame on them for making it obvious they were doing it. Shame on you for not using that information to your team's benefit. They gave you a gift. You weren't experienced enough to say thank you and open the package. Everyone who answered you so far is right including Bill. Your answer to Bill mirrors the way you handled the on the field situation. More b>))$ than brains. If you aren't going to accept the real world wisdom you are given then I'm not surprised you didn't accept the gift the other team gave you when they made it obvious they were picking your signs. Get your ego and temper out of the way and maybe you can handle it better for your players next time.

By the way, Mike has now explained how to accept the gift they offered you.

Jun 6, 2009
On one hand, if your signals are getting picked, that is your fault. You need to reevaluate the way you signal.

On the other hand, if the other coach is stupid enough to let you know he is picking your signals, then your being given a gift. If you didn't capitalize on it, then you made another mistake.

Kind of sounds like you messed up coming and going.

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
C'mon, whining about a coach stealing you signs. Please. I think the guy was pretty cleaver in the way he did it. He could have just called out the signs. I also think he was a "nice guy" to stop when the ump asked him to - although I think the ump was wrong in doing so.

Sounds to me like you got whipped by a better coach and that's why you are upset. Heck, I know coaches who don't even hide their signals. The batter still has to hit the pitch, simple as that.

Quit whining.

Sounds like this coach is related to you.
I'm not the coach, I'm an in your face parent I guess.
There's nothing clever about unethical coaching.
and . . .
He ain't doing his players any favors either.

"Our team" eventually beat them in the last inning because they couldn't hit the ball any more. Imagine that.
You see it's a lot harder to hit the ball when you don't know what pitch is coming. It's easy to sit on a change up when you know it's coming.

We went 4 and 1 and took first place.
So this isn't a sour grapes argument, pal.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Bucketpapi, you asked for opinions and got them. You must be a bad mo fo. Be careful because there are a lot of "in your face" coaches out there.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You were a fan and confronted the coach? I wouldn't have even acknowledged your prescence if I was that coach. With that little tidbit of info I can say IMO you were completely out of line and should have been sent to the parking lot. You let YOUR coach handle it. I have seen where girls are telling the batter what and where the next pitch is... are you going to jump on them about it?

On to the OP, sign stealing is part of the game. You don't like it go watch soccer. I've even had the 1st base coach litterly call out what pitch was coming last year. No big deal, just change the signs.This year we went with a random series, before the inning I would tell my catcher 1, 2, or 3, this is the hot sign. I would then give a series of 3 signs. Haven't been involved in sign stealing this year that I know of.

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
You must be a bad mo fo. Be careful because there are a lot of "in your face" coaches out there.

I am neither a bad mofo nor an in your face parent.
That was said facetiously.
I ask for opinions and appreciate them. I am not looking to learn anything from these opinions, Mark, so no I have not learned anything from this thread. It was never my intent to be schooled on behavior from an internet forum.
The coach was an a-hole and I regret nothing I did. Not one thing.
One man's unethical behavior is another man's . . . . .

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
sfb, these guys explained it plain enough for most people, I am going to explain it to you as to what you do in this situation, sorry, but I am not going to use crayons here.

If you figure out that someone has caught your signals and is using that against you, stfu. Dont let on you know, you need to have a pre-arranged signal whatever to let your catcher know whats going on and rotate the signals. Its so easy to turn this in your favor, its not even funny. Learn the game. There is nothing funnier than a hitter who has been told that a riser is coming watches a changeup float across on an 2 strike count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802