Sunglasses recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Those are nice. Good thing with those if she jacks up the lenses, ear pieces, or nose piece you can by replacements for just those parts.

Dec 15, 2021
Ok....as a coach, it was one of my biggest pet peeves.....have you ever looked at your daughters glasses after a game or a tournament? Generally, they are full of dust, fingerprints, smudges, sweat, etc.....more often than not, difficult to look through. On top of that, I haven't see too many pairs that aren't full of scratches. In softball, especially in the infield, reaction time and a clear eyesight is very important. If your daughter does a GREAT job of keeping them clean and free from scratches, i understand. But if not, invest in a visor and teach them how to block the sun with their glove! SECONDLY, it drives me nuts to see a player walk up to the plate in these same glasses. Unless the glasses are the type that help a player see the ball more clearly, please don't allow them to walk up to the plate wearing a dirty, scratched up, finger printed up pair of glasses. But, if we are paying crazy money for cleats, bats, gloves, bags, etc., why would we then buy them cheap sunglasses, especially when the most important aspect of their ability to play is their eyesight!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Ok....as a coach, it was one of my biggest pet peeves.....have you ever looked at your daughters glasses after a game or a tournament? Generally, they are full of dust, fingerprints, smudges, sweat, etc.....more often than not, difficult to look through. On top of that, I haven't see too many pairs that aren't full of scratches. In softball, especially in the infield, reaction time and a clear eyesight is very important. If your daughter does a GREAT job of keeping them clean and free from scratches, i understand. But if not, invest in a visor and teach them how to block the sun with their glove! SECONDLY, it drives me nuts to see a player walk up to the plate in these same glasses. Unless the glasses are the type that help a player see the ball more clearly, please don't allow them to walk up to the plate wearing a dirty, scratched up, finger printed up pair of glasses. But, if we are paying crazy money for cleats, bats, gloves, bags, etc., why would we then buy them cheap sunglasses, especially when the most important aspect of their ability to play is their eyesight!
Not sure what level/age you are referring to here Coach (this is a post in the College section of the forum) but I'm unclear (pun intended) as to what you have a such a big pet peeve with? Is it wearing sunglasses or eye protection in general or having an athlete that doesn't take care of or maintain their equipment (which sunglasses IMHO are)? Have you ever had a player that wears contacts and sunglasses to keep out the wind and dust? One of my DD's is a C and that can certainly be a problem, at times we've used clear or the yellow optic lenses just to help with that. The other DD is a P/CF and she knows how to use the glove to shield the sun as well as any player but also benefits from a good pair of shades. Perhaps it's just this type of sunglasses (which you seem to infer) in which case you've really lost me? Why would they, in particular drive you nuts?

Both DD's are very responsible and take good care of all their stuff (doesn't mean something can't happen) but they also know enough to not wear something if it is causing an issue.

Sep 19, 2018
I read the rant as complaining about trying to see through glasses that are full of scratches, smudges and dirt. Not the use of sun glasses themselves.

May 16, 2016
Oakley Flak Jacket, Half Jacket or Quarter Jacket, depending on Age/Face size. The lenses on these are easily removed, no tools required. And you can buy high quality replacement lenses through RevantOptics at greatly reduced prices. They have non-polarized lenses starting at $29/pair.

RevantOptics Oakley Half Jacket

Jan 24, 2022
My 10-year old loved this sunglass from Rawlings so much because it does weigh the slightest, even with its solid frames. My kid’s previous glasses were too heavy on him, so he is easily distracted when he is playing baseball. I am happy with these glasses because, for the first time, I do not have to keep removing his glasses to clean his face during breaks. And he is happy too!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My first recommendation is to wear them when needed. It never ceases to amaze how a HS or college player will be in the worst part of the field, with sunglasses on the visor, and then fight the sun to see the ball. I don't know how any of them go out onto the field on a hot sunny day without them.

Whatever it is, polarized is must. You'll see the ball better...I promise. A cheaper version works fine for kids. As they get older, more responsible, and play at a higher level, a quality pair can mean the difference between making a play and not. I've worn Ray Bans for decades, and keep individual pairs for years. I can pick up a ball much earlier and see it far closer to the sun than with just shading.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My first recommendation is to wear them when needed. It never ceases to amaze how a HS or college player will be in the worst part of the field, with sunglasses on the visor, and then fight the sun to see the ball. I don't know how any of them go out onto the field on a hot sunny day without them.

Whatever it is, polarized is must. You'll see the ball better...I promise. A cheaper version works fine for kids. As they get older, more responsible, and play at a higher level, a quality pair can mean the difference between making a play and not. I've worn Ray Bans for decades, and keep individual pairs for years. I can pick up a ball much earlier and see it far closer to the sun than with just shading.
Yes! A little common sense and context goes a long way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802