Suggestions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2012
Suggestions? She is getting ready for her 2nd year of 10U. I can see that she is leaving the ground a bit on the drag foot. I haven’t noticed this before so I think we can fix that pretty quick. She looks like she needs to have a more immediate transfer from her slide to the push (maybe because she isn’t getting stretch in left calf muscle). IDK. I have read the drive mechanics and IR threads. We have been doing IR drills. We aren’t there yet but she is progressing.

[video=vimeo;113744888]https://vimeo.com/113744888[/video]

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
She looks pretty good in general. Nice I/R, nice elbow bend, decent drive....One thing that stands out is how much she stays back at release. it looks like she has ben given instruction on body position without her being able to internalize it or feel it yet so as a result the action is mistimed and does not have the desired effect. What I mean by this is that the intent of the "nose behind the belly button" cue at release is to create an firm front side to resist against to generate power. Tilting your body to achieve the nose behind the belly position does not allow this to happen, artificially holding back to keep the position does not let the speed to come through either. To my eye, she can release all of her energy into her front side more and still maintain a desirable position. This I all about the feel of WHY as opposed t executing the cue without understanding it. It is a tall order for a 10 year old so I wouldn't expect her to get it right away but if she pitches like this consistently I would start encouraging her to really feel how much resistance she has in her front leg and how she reaches maximum resistance in the front just a hair before release as that front becomes a wall. As opposed to prematurely creating the wall and not allowing her body to naturally power the pitch. oh...and yes, fix the leap.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
One thing that stands out is how much she stays back at release.

Yeah, maybe arching back in the spine. Personally, I'd rather see a little too much of that than bending forward at the waist.

For me... The shoulders are closing a bit too much, maybe due somewhat to the flying out of the glove.

I think she's well on her way. Slow and easy with the corrections.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Here is a GIF of Ueno to illustrate a point about body positions and cues. By the looks of it, she has a bend in the waist. BUT....she firms up when it matters and that is in the moments leading up to and just at release. We use cues for positions in instruction as descriptions of what "Good" looks like in a static manner, but the reality is that the timing of how we get to these positions is where the real money is. Staying back is only good as it relates to creating a firm front and then getting everything you got whipping against that firm front. I have no preference between staying back or bending over, all I care about is whether position allows for max energy transfer.

29vifyf.gif

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Playaction,

Good stuff in that video. You both are doing a fine job. Couple of notes:

Perhaps your DD is trying to lengthen her arm into release. Nevertheless, she's missing the whip. Throwing with a long arm.... and that long arm is attached to a severely dipping shoulder.

Sounds cliché these days to re-direct you to BM's drills... but when I watch this video, I see a bright kid with loads of potential that is throwing with her right shoulder. It's moving through space at a pretty fierce rate. I know this is the case... because the force that she's using... is the same force that has it continuing to the target. Rather than pull down and through with the shoulder... she needs to learn to pull down with the elbow and then lead with the pinky. IOW, lead with the elbow... and THEN... lead with the pinky. That arm is currently one long internally rotating lever... as opposed to an arm with joints (preferable). ;)

DMaegan's threads are worth reading through... as your DD would benefit a ton from this (lock-it-in, 9). To me, this is the starting point of all "things to work on". Quiet that rear shoulder... and move the focus down the chain... elbow leads from 11-8.. pinky leads the rest of the way.

Once she's gotten that whip down... I'd do as you mentioned... which is get her leaning sooner in the process and stretching that rear leg. There are some real positives here... so don't get discouraged. IF time allows, I'd really, really like to see her perform the Lock-it-in and 9 o'clock drills.

JJ hit the spot on the timing of events. I'm not overly concerned with her posture at plant... it's afterwards that causes me concern. You can see that she's a good couple of inches away from brush... because of that dip and 3B lean... because of that straightened arm. Think not of the glove arm... it's working. IF... her drive was more explosive SOONER... her hips and shoulder line would open that much sooner... and she wouldn't leap. She's simply pushing too little, too late. Strike the front of the rubber with a better lean. Rinse, repeat. That leap will go away when she reaches extension of her right knee SOONER.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Java,

You never cease to feed fantastic morsels to the pitching masses!

Rather than pull down and through with the shoulder... she needs to learn to pull down with the elbow and then lead with the pinky. IOW, lead with the elbow... and THEN... lead with the pinky.

Quiet that rear shoulder... and move the focus down the chain... elbow leads from 11-8.. pinky leads the rest of the way.

Feb 26, 2012
elbow leads from 11-8.. pinky leads the rest of the way.
Can you or someone else with the skills show me a gif of this? Thanks

IF time allows, I'd really, really like to see her perform the Lock-it-in and 9 o'clock drills.
Will do. Thanks for all of the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee