Sucking the Fun out of the Game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
For me that is part of why I sit out there..the other reason is that most parents are morons and make my ears bleed.
LOLOL... couldn't agree more. My favorite one is parents complaining about every damn ball hit to the OF(my DD is CF) should be caught. Makes no difference if it's a bomb 50 feet over the kids head or a a soft pop up 2 feet over their kids head on the IF... "Out field should of had that 1!!"

Of course there's always the parent who keeps putting their kid down so every other parent can build her up. I caught on to that one right away and just started nodding my head in agreement. She no longer talks to me... which suits me just perfect.

Jun 8, 2016
Of course there's always the parent who keeps putting their kid down so every other parent can build her up. I caught on to that one right away and just started nodding my head in agreement. She no longer talks to me... which suits me just perfect.
You know, I always wondered why the various wild animals I come across sitting in the OF are always nodding at me..

May 29, 2015
Sitting in the outfield is a great compromise. I started doing that this season some, and it takes away a good bit of the intensity of the situation. You don't hear all the parents yelling, complaining, etc. You can't tell if the pitch was a ball or a strike, or if a call was good or bad, so you don't get mad at the umpires. Especially since you can't hear the other parents talking about all the bad calls. I had gotten to where I didn't even enjoy going to her games, which was depressing, because I love to watch her play. The OF seating worked out perfectly, plus it's way cooler when you get off the concrete.

Plus ... you know ... beer. ;)

Jun 10, 2018
NY
I agree being in the outfield is a good solution for many but it really is good for your girl to navigate her activity with her friends on her own, without you there. The whole independence thing, the excitement of filling you in on how it went (OR not filling you in, and processing it on her own. Good skill to develop.)

I realize on this excellent website the parents are huge fans of the game and love the softball life and love the games! Its fun to spend the day at the fields. Just saying it is Healthy for your kid to fly on her own now and then (and for her to see you with stuff of your own to do).

Again I mean this without judgement.

Oct 4, 2018
Any of you ever feel like you are sucking the fun out of the game for both you and your DD? Sometimes I feel this way.. I get a little frustrated that she can't perform/understand a simple concept. She works hard, always willing to put in the extra hours, even though it is not her goal to play college ball. I think I need to take a step back from Over coaching her and enjoy the next couple years.

It's a fine balancing act, isn't it?

Oct 4, 2018
May I gently and without judgement suggest that you consider not going to every game! It is GOOD for your girl to play without you there. I managed for many years and hovering parents present at every game (and practice) definitely take the fun out of the game. Let her fly on her own without you there! Instead of dissecting the entire game, tell your daughter what YOU did that day--take the focus off HER !! It is healthy for her to see you with your own interests; It is definitely a drain on the fun to have you there watching every single game.

Its just a game. games are supposed to be fun.

I've been trying to gently encourage parents to not sit and watch every single practice. I can see it hindering their daughters. They don't seem to get it.

Oct 4, 2018
Sitting in the outfield is a great compromise. I started doing that this season some, and it takes away a good bit of the intensity of the situation. You don't hear all the parents yelling, complaining, etc. You can't tell if the pitch was a ball or a strike, or if a call was good or bad, so you don't get mad at the umpires. Especially since you can't hear the other parents talking about all the bad calls. I had gotten to where I didn't even enjoy going to her games, which was depressing, because I love to watch her play. The OF seating worked out perfectly, plus it's way cooler when you get off the concrete.

I'm pretty sure that will be me this year. I quickly volunteered to be AC last year in part because I'd much rather be on the field helping the girls than sitting on the bench dealing with gossip and parents who don't know softball. Hearing them razz the umps and not know rules/strategy is painful to me. Hearing them second guess coaches or advise girls incorrectly makes me angry.

So this year I'm just a parent. We'll see how quickly I move my deluxe rocking chair with drink holder to the outfield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802