Substitutions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
I am a softball coach who is just starting out and our league requires all of the players to play and bat in the game. The league we are in has no rules about subs except for the pitching. My question is about substitutions...we are the league champs and will be going to a All Star Tournament and I don't want to look like a dork...not knowing the rules about subs. Can you help me in this matter

Thanks

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Well, you need to get a rule book. What organization are you with? ASA, NSA, Little League?

Generally, you need to know:

(A) How many do you bat?
(B) Can you have a DP (designated player) or a DB (designated batter)?
(C) What is the re-entry rule?
(D) How do you fill out the lineup card when you give it to the umpire?

GENERALLY:

You bat 9 (unless a DB is allowed), and you can have 1 DP. Usually, the DP can bat for any player. Usually, the DP bats for the P, but that is not required. The player she bats for is the DF (or designated fielder).

So, on the lineup card, you list a player as DP, and then the player she is batting for as the DF.

The re-entry rule is that if a player *starts*, you can take her out, but she can re-enter in the batting order at the same place she was before she was taken out. Non-starters cannot re-enter if taken out.

Ray

Jul 20, 2008
Sounds like you are trying to prepare for LL ALL-STARS :D

LL needs to come into the 21st Century and allow roster batting. That would cure all of the headaches involved with trying to get players in. Seems like if everyone bats, everyone is happy. The rule goes out the window if you run into a buzz saw and get run ruled!

If the rule is still at least one at-bat and three outs in the field, you will need to adjust you batting order to put your substitutes higher in the order. You might even have your 12th best player lead off the game. There is her at bat. She plays the first inning in the field and then you sub for her.

Disburse the other subs 6-9 in the line up.

Jan 15, 2009
Well, you need to get a rule book. What organization are you with? ASA, NSA, Little League?

The re-entry rule is that if a player *starts*, you can take her out, but she can re-enter in the batting order at the same place she was before she was taken out. Non-starters cannot re-enter if taken out.

Ray

Ray,

Speaking ASA I'm not sure that's correct the way I've read it and used it without complaint is that you can re-enter the sub for the re-entered starter with no penalty. That is the subs first re-entry. It's only illegal to re-enter twice.

Rule 4 Section 5
"Any player may be substituted or replaced and reenter once..."

Nothing in the rule that says only starters can reenter not subs. Maybe I'm pulling one over but I've done this to get a faster runner in as a pinch twice in one game for the same fielder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28