Subject A, Control Subject, Elite College Hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here's a little video I put together for a girl I am working with. The first hitter is my kid, the second Subject A whom I am working with (I flip them somehow in the middle), and then the two of them compared to elite college athletes. The focus was pre-launch and first move. There is a lot to study in the comparisons.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o058kxiwsV1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_o058v7ZBr21usf292o1_400.gif

I don't think you asked for any input so, I'll just say thanks for sharing.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio

tumblr_o058v7ZBr21usf292o1_400.gif

I don't think you asked for any input so, I'll just say thanks for sharing.

YES input please. DD has been a very successful hitter but she wants to change, improve and understand good mechanics. Subject A works hard and wants to get better. I think talking about real game swings by kids can help everyone on the forum.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Donaldson_sideslow.gif

Let's start with your DD.
I like her swing it reminds me of Donaldson. Same front leg/foot usage. Both 'open' up as the swing plants the heel.
Here what I see as a couple of areas to work on to may be improve her swing.
tumblr_o05ccme6we1usf292o1_400.gif

Donaldson 'walks away from his hands'. Your DD's hands go foward as her body goes forward.

tumblr_o05ctxeW5N1usf292o1_400.gif

From here as your DD's hands go forward with her upper body they seem to follow the rotating shoulders around instead of 'out from'.
Once the front foot heel drops the upper body shouldn't continue moving forward. The barrel should be turned forward towards the ball as the upper body stays back.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio

Donaldson_sideslow.gif

Let's start with your DD.
I like her swing it reminds me of Donaldson. Same front leg/foot usage. Both 'open' up as the swing plants the heel.
Here what I see as a couple of areas to work on to may be improve her swing.

Donaldson 'walks away from his hands'. Your DD's hands go foward as her body goes forward.

tumblr_o05ctxeW5N1usf292o1_400.gif

From here as your DD's hands go forward with her upper body they seem to follow the rotating shoulders around instead of 'out from'.
Once the front foot heel drops the upper body shouldn't continue moving forward. The barrel should be turned forward towards the ball as the upper body stays back.

These are the very two issues we have started talking about. The results of the issues you point out have been too many hard grounders on the left side and making contact sometimes while the bat is moving downward (a very gradual down slope) where as I think she could get the bat on a better path to the pitch by following your suggestions. The college swings in the video bear this out as well. Thx

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If you want......I have a couple of suggestions on drills to hopefully help your DD.
My DD has been there and this what I used to 'concentrate' on these issues. I'm sure these drills have been posted(I know they have) before but, may take on a different meaning.
I will post tomorrow if you care. If not you won't hurt my feelings.
Added:
been too many hard grounders on the left side and making contact sometimes while the bat is moving downward (a very gradual down slope)

DD swings 'around' her body not 'out from'. Also seems to have a touch of dropping the bat level to the ball.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
If you want......I have a couple of suggestions on drills to hopefully help your DD.
My DD has been there and this what I used to 'concentrate' on these issues. I'm sure these drills have been posted(I know they have) before but, may take on a different meaning.
I will post tomorrow if you care. If not you won't hurt my feelings.
Added:

DD swings 'around' her body not 'out from'. Also seems to have a touch of dropping the bat level to the ball.

Look forward to it

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
HarmlessEagerIndianrhinoceros.gif

Just a quick suggestion DD might want to try a higher rear elbow during the 'loading' back and around.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
HarmlessEagerIndianrhinoceros.gif

Just a quick suggestion DD might want to try a higher rear elbow during the 'loading' back and around.

Not so much. Back sure, higher elbow perhaps, but around (depending on what you are referring to) no. In my ever so humble opinion.
Around contributes significantly to the issue you correctly pointed out in post #4 in this thread.

Donny B. - "rock the U"
Rudy Jaramillo - "keep the shoulders square to the plate for as long as possible."
Miggy - observe
Donaldson - observe. It all happens in front and relatively square to the plate.

The young lady has too much "around" and that will catch up to her at the older levels.

IMHO of course.

Now about this "power triangle" O'Leary speaks of . . . . .

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not so much. Back sure, higher elbow perhaps, but around (depending on what you are referring to) no. In my ever so humble opinion.
Around contributes significantly to the issue you correctly pointed out in post #4 in this thread.

Donny B. - "rock the U"
Rudy Jaramillo - "keep the shoulders square to the plate for as long as possible."
Miggy - observe
Donaldson - observe. It all happens in front and relatively square to the plate.

The young lady has too much "around" and that will catch up to her at the older levels.

IMHO of course.

Now about this "power triangle" O'Leary speaks of . . . . .

DD might want to try a higher rear elbow during the 'loading' back and around.
Yes, Back towards catcher but, 'around' as in poking someone standing behind you, as the batter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45