Stupidest parents/coaches you've ever seen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
I just had one tonight. Phone rings during dinner. I see it is a parent of one of my students. She says that her DD's LL fall ball coach has told DD that she can't step forward with her left foot off of the ground (righty pitcher) and he is sure that he read it in the rule book.

This is 10U.

The other girls are telling her she can't turn sideways, etc., because they are "pitching" straight on.

Sometimes, I don't know what "coaches" are thinking.

If you're gonna mess 'em up, it's best to mess 'em up 'real good'! :eek:

Aug 16, 2008
Team Builder/Not

I witnessed my daughters former (notice I said former) 18U coach, with 20 years of coaching experience pull the dumbest stunts in the name of "Team Building". My daughter played for this coach for almost 3 years & at the start of each season he would carry a clipboard to practice & write down names of girls who showed up, showed upon time etc... At this time he always tells the girls that "I am keeping a list of practice attendance & this will determine playing time". About 3-4 weeks in the clip board is gone & practice attendance never becomes a factor in playing time.
This behavior is probably not that unusuual but the thing that takes the "Team Building Cake" is: After a dismal Fall season the coach decides that he is going to SHAKE UP THE TEAM by cutting players who he felt did not put forth proper effort & make them play on the "B" Team to earn their way back to the "A" Team. He ended up cutting most of his seniors, some who had played for hm since 14's & then was forced to take them back after school ball when he was unable to attract new players for the "A" Team. Needless to say the summer season was even worse than the Fall. The final straw for us was the following Fall team meeting when the "I am keeping a practice attendance list" statement was made & we caught girls openly commenting & laughing about it.

Jun 22, 2008
College coach. Invites daughter on official visit, we get there, she tells us to go take a self guided tour of the campus.

Daughter works out with team, after pratice coach tells us she would love to stay and talk but has personal issues she has to deal with and needs to leave. But, stays just long enough to say she would love for my daughter to come play for her, but has offered out all her money and wont know for 2 months if she has any left. Now remember, this coach contacted us and asked us to come on the visit.

Then, talk about team building. Assistant coach has the team running wind sprints. On next to last sprint 2 girls dont get back to the line on time and assitant adds 2 more sprints to whole team. Of course the rest of the girls are ticked off, so they start laying into the 2 that didnt get back. Assistant coach starts laying F bombs left and right telling the team how they are all sisters and sisters dont get down on each other, they pick each other up and help each other.

Sorry, but every coach I ever had expected everyone to come down hard on the slacker that was getting everyone else punished.

Nov 8, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
I recently had a parent threaten me with violence because I asked his DD to bunt during a friendly. I'm coaching 8U winterball for heavens sake. I wanted to laugh. She has only gotten 1 hit the whole season. I had a runner on 3rd so I was willing to try anything to get the RBI. She is batting .093 for this season and she is supposed to be moving to 10U next month. Comedy! I was the bad guy...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812