Stupidest parents/coaches you've ever seen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2008
in the dugout
my dd was pitching in a fallball rec league a few years ago against a team that had a few younger girls on it. my dd was 15 and they were probably 12/13 or so. well one of the girls is on deck and just crying her eyes out. the coach comes out and says she is scared to death to go up and bat against my daughter because she is throwing so hard. he asks the ump if he could come out and pitch to her. ump says yes, so he comes out throws four pitches to her, they are all balls and the ump gives her the walk:eek:. then he says my next batter is scared too so can i pitch to her as well, and the ump says okay. i wasn't coaching so i was just sitting by the fence dying laughing:D.

Jul 17, 2008
Troy, Illinois
One of my favorite stories about coaches and my child is when, pitching against one of our rival teams, the rival coach started a chant of "Four Eyes." My child, at that time, wore "Rec-Specs" in lieu of glasses. My DD was 10 at the time. That is about as classless as it gets. Before I could approach that other coach (I was on my way!) My dd calmly walks toward the coach and says, "Please don't do that. When you do that, I get emotional. When I get emotional, someone gets hit."

May 12, 2008
Stupid coach

I was an assistant on my DD's 12 & under travel team. I was throwing BP in the cage this winter to the head coach's daughter. While his daughter (right handed hitter) is hitting, he is lying on the gym floor with his hand under the net holding her right ankle/foot. She could not move her back foot at all during the swing which resulted in a total upper body swing. I knew then and there, this was going to be a long year while I watched her hit weak ground balls.

Jul 27, 2008
I never saw the stupidest thing ever, I committed it!

First year 12s rec ball. My DD had just learnd how to pitch the previous year while in LL. Mind you half the games she pitched in LL she submarined and blowing people away. Well I got very full of myself and overconfident in her abilities. So we decide to do Bobby Sox in her 1st 12u year. Things were going ok until the 3rd or 4th game in the season when she kept on walking everybody. I was fuming "this is my DD" I thought "my seed" she is better than that. So I yelled at her, she started crying I yelled at her again to get her "butt" off the field and stop crying like a baby. She was humilitated. It was a lot like the scene from Bad News Bears only I didn't hit her. I felt horrible.:eek:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
All you can do now is laugh about it, learn from it and move one. We all mistakes--I think I could top yours without working up a sweat.

Aug 19, 2008
When my daughter was 8 she played LL with the 10 year olds. She had worked on her pitching tirelessly throughout the winter, (taking lessons and throwing in the basement). As the season came around her team had a new coach. This dad had plenty of baseball credentials, HS All-State, Div 1 College, Drafted by Houston - we thought "this is great, an opportunity to learn from someone that has done it at a higher level".

My dd pitched well in her first few outings, a few strikeouts, a couple walks and lots of weak grounders. As the season progressed the strikeouts grew. Less walks less grounders. In the middle of the season her pitching coach showed up to watch her pitch. She was very excited and she struck out the first 5 batters she faced. Her LL coach, (Mr drafted by the Astros) walked out to the mound to talk to her.

When she started pitching to the 6th batter my dd was no longer in a rythm and balls were lobbing in all over the place. Two walks and a hit batter loaded the bases. My daughter was getting really down and had lost the wrist snap and rythem she had worked so hard to master.

Her LL coach walked back out to the mound and replaced her with another pitcher. Many runs later the inning ended and the game progressed. After the game I asked my dd what had happened. Was she nervous? Was she hurt?

She said the coach came out to the mound after her 5th SO and told her to pitch slower so the other team could hit the ball. This made her pitching coach very angry - we still tease him that he never taught my daughter the grip for the "let the other team hit the ball pitch".

Thankfully the travel team invitations started rolling in at the end of the season and we were able to get her on a team with a coach that understands the game of softball.

I have got to say that the stupidest parent I have ever coached stalked me after a game and said I played his kid too much and that his kid is going to get hurt. He went to the athletic director and we had a meeting. The A.D. laughed in his face.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just had one tonight. Phone rings during dinner. I see it is a parent of one of my students. She says that her DD's LL fall ball coach has told DD that she can't step forward with her left foot off of the ground (righty pitcher) and he is sure that he read it in the rule book.

This is 10U.

The other girls are telling her she can't turn sideways, etc., because they are "pitching" straight on.

Sometimes, I don't know what "coaches" are thinking.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279