Stupidest parents/coaches you've ever seen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2008
Sluggers: LOL what a thought!

bucketdad: that must have been hilarious!

mksoftball: that must be frustrating

I once worked with a coach who thought the reason you tell the girls to take their lead in foul territory from 3rd is because "the footing is better" in foul territory than it is in fair territory.

Then another one I heard about in tournament play...I think the game was tied in the last inning. There were 2 outs and a runner in scoring position. Batter gets a base hit to the outfield. Runner crosses the plate and batter and her coach were celebrating because her hit brought in the "winning" run. The defense thinks the game is over and are obviously disappointed. Their coach tells them to throw the ball to first. They look at him puzzled, but they do it.

The batter/runner is forced out at first (she never got to the base because she and her coach were celebrating) and the run doesn't count. The team that was on defense goes on to win the game. Boy were the other coaches upset.

Jul 1, 2008
MIxed Up coach

My daughter plays for a fella who's a little long in the tooth, to say the least. He comes to practice one night with the news that he's done some stats and the team ERA is 57.0. Yes, fifty-seven, not 5.70. He's done the math. Most of the girls are like, "ah, you sure?". Oh yeah, he's sure. The girls ask "well, doesn't that mean we give up 57 earned runs in your average 7 inning game coach?" Now of course he's thinking, but still he won't back down. The more they question, the madder he gets at them - how dare they challenge him!
Anyway, long season for the gals. Some guys just can't see when it's time to pack it in.

Jun 1, 2008
I was umpiring once and I had a coach argue with me and try to convince me once that a balk was different than an illegal pitch, where an illegal pitch had a consequence of a ball and a base, but a balk was just a ball on the batter.

I was watching her sit in her dugout looking for the term "balk" in the rulebook, and just kept laughing. She was never going to find such a term. :p

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I was watching her sit in her dugout looking for the term "balk" in the rulebook, and just kept laughing. She was never going to find such a term. :p

Maybe you should have wandered pass the dugout every now and then and suggested different page numbers. :D

Jun 20, 2008
I was umpiring once and I had a coach argue with me and try to convince me once that a balk was different than an illegal pitch, where an illegal pitch had a consequence of a ball and a base, but a balk was just a ball on the batter.

She was right about one thing, a balk is different than an illegal pitch, one is baseball one is fastpitch softball.

Jun 1, 2008
She was right about one thing, a balk is different than an illegal pitch, one is baseball one is fastpitch softball.

Well I know that, but this was a minor softball game and my response to her was simply "balks are for baseball, this is a softball game. Wrong sport." I`m always afraid of giving attitude but this one felt great. Serves her right for getting all up in my face. :D

May 9, 2008
Maine
We were playing in the U14 B ASA Nationals one year. We are losing an elimination game 7-0. Our girls are still up in the dugout cheering for each other. The other coach is screaming at his players (and especially his pitcher who is throwing a shutout) anytime they make any mistake no matter how minor. If you had looked at the the two dugouts you would have thought the team that was ahead by 7 runs was actually losing. I would not let my daughter even play for a coach like that.

Our team had arrived way early for a game during the State tourney. We ran into some girls who were wearing brown uniforms trimmed in yellow (I immediately thought about taffy). They even had little yellow ribbons in their hair. Very pleasant, or so we thought. We had to play those girls later in the day. Their pitcher was a grunter (didn't bother us, just made us think of Stefie Graf). Anyway, when our first batter got on base, the first baseman SPIT. That happened each and every time our girls tagged a base - it didn't matter which one, either! Their parents kept yelling, "Yeah, intimidate those girls!" Oh, it was awful! Can't even remember where they were from - just called them "the spitters". 10u, at that! My mother went to that game and was mortified! At the end of the game, she snatched up her chair and began trotting to the car - steadily looking over her shoulder! She thought those folks were going to kill us! Unreal...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood