Stuck on back side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Hi Guys,

My DD had a tourney over the weekend, did pretty good. Had 2 hits. She was swinging the bat for the most. So that is great. Much rather her swing, just standing there. Her team placed 4th. It was their first ever 10u tourney. Anyhow, I'm noticing what I think to be her getting stuck on the back side instead of gaining ground, this makes her late. especially against a pitcher with some velocity. Any Ideas? Thanks

Jun 8, 2016
I asked Marcela last week about not gaining ground with her belly button in games and she told me she thinks she is going to be late if she does it. I tried to explain to her why that wouldn't be the case but if you think about it sort of makes sense. When you move towards the ball it will get to you quicker than if you just sit there on your backside. Only thing you can really do is try to ingrain the correct move out pattern during her BP and hope at some point it carries over to her game swing.

Oct 2, 2017
I don't know if the open stance isn't helping that any. In the videos its like she balances on her rear leg, then reaches with the front to "fall" forward. in BP she's been working on coil to go forward, Which the last couple session has really helped her. And she doesn't do that balancing, falling act. She gains ground properly etc. Strides properly.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't know if the open stance isn't helping that any. In the videos its like she balances on her rear leg, then reaches with the front to "fall" forward. in BP she's been working on coil to go forward, Which the last couple session has really helped her. And she doesn't do that balancing, falling act. She gains ground properly etc. Strides properly.
If you like what she is doing in BP then that is really all you can control. Once they are in the box in a game they are on their own and hopefully at some point the autopilot swing will be the swing mechanics you are seeing in BP. Believe me, it is frustrating I know. They take a swing in the game which you haven't seen in BP for weeks and it just leaves you shaking your head ;)

Jun 8, 2016
Body_planes.jpg

jkG7HqO.gif

WriliDO.gif

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Sometimes hitters have this problem when they push back over their back knee in the loading process. They "stride" as if stepping on thin ice and lose quality momentum.