Struggling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I think she also needs to do warm up batting before the game. They mainly do warmup, catch and the fielding.
When my DD played rec I would get there 30 minutes before everybody else and throw her wiffles as her team didn't hit during warmups. I would actually rather do that with her now as her TB does front toss with TCB balls (along with tee work), which I hate, but that would mean getting there 1.5 hours before the game and I ain't doing that for a 8 am game on a Sat morning 😂

Oct 2, 2017
When my DD played rec I would get there 30 minutes before everybody else and throw her wiffles as her team didn't hit during warmups. I would actually rather do that with her now as her TB does front toss with TCB balls (along with tee work), which I hate, but that would mean getting there 1.5 hours before the game and I ain't doing that for a 8 am game on a Sat morning 😂

I like the idea of hitting for 30 mins. before, but like you if its a 8am game forget that. LOL

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think she also needs to do warm up batting before the game. They mainly do warmup, catch and the fielding.

If they aren't doing any hitting before the game, are only preparing to play half the game. Neglecting to prepare for the most difficult part of the game is just dumb.

At the age of your DD, I loved "ring of fire" as a hitting warmup. Grab a bucket of wiffles, and have the girls stand in a circle around you (about 10' away). Pitch to one girl until she hit the ball, then pitch to the next one. Work your way around the circle a few times, stopping to reload wiffles as needed. If you have a second coach/helpful parent, you can set up a tee station and have the girls cycle between the station and the circle.

Oct 2, 2017
If they aren't doing any hitting before the game, are only preparing to play half the game. Neglecting to prepare for the most difficult part of the game is just dumb.

At the age of your DD, I loved "ring of fire" as a hitting warmup. Grab a bucket of wiffles, and have the girls stand in a circle around you (about 10' away). Pitch to one girl until she hit the ball, then pitch to the next one. Work your way around the circle a few times, stopping to reload wiffles as needed. If you have a second coach/helpful parent, you can set up a tee station and have the girls cycle between the station and the circle.

I agree, I've never understood it since she has been on this team. Not sure of the reason for it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree, I've never understood it since she has been on this team. Not sure of the reason for it.

My suggestion... "Hey, Mr. Coach. I noticed that the girls aren't doing any hitting as part of the pre-game warmup. Is there something I can help with so they can get prepared for that part of the game?"

May 12, 2016
Agree with So Cal Seth.. treat every pitch like a strike, start your sequence on every pitch like you are going to hit it, decide during the sequence.. not before. Generally starting too late is because a hitter decides before sequence if ball or strike and then starts late. Many times when pitching front toss(same thing with machine) to our daughters 98% of the balls are hitable, then other 2% they swing anyway, lol. I think it's important to mix in some bad pitches and teach our daughters to check their swing. Reinforce a good take the same way as a good hit. This will become second nature, your DD should then start her sequence in game play early as well.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California

My daughter just finished first season of 8U rec ball with some good coaches. We practiced an hour before the game started. After warm ups, it was basically stations of live hitting, tee work and soft toss - and sometimes one of the coaches had that stick for players to hit.

Gotta hit before the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45