Strike zone question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2016
Is the top of the zone set from the players full height, or from where they end up in their stance?

Aug 25, 2019
Well, I've been taught its from the armpit to the top of the knee in a natural batting stance. I've seen a few hitters hunched over to shrink their strike zone, but that didn't work.

Jun 19, 2016
I think it must of got shrunk in the drier. Maybe an inch over the belly button the days.... maybe.

Umpires are getting tighter and tighter.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
Natural stance is what i have been taught. If a batter transitions from one stance to another (like a bunt) i stick with zone from their original stance. How do others handle this.?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think it must of got shrunk in the drier. Maybe an inch over the belly button the days.... maybe.

I see far more high strikes (ball crosses at the face) called than low strikes. This becomes more problematic the faster the pitching gets.

May 16, 2016
Illinois

I see far more high strikes (ball crosses at the face) called than low strikes. This becomes more problematic the faster the pitching gets.

I agree with both of these responses. How is that possible? :ROFLMAO:

The strike zone is all over the place. Not just from game to game, but in some instances it changes dramatically from inning to inning.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I’ve always understood the strike zone being from armpits to the knees.

In the three years we’ve been involved with competitive softball I’ve seen that the strike zone moves generally in the up direction if it moves anywhere. We’ve seen it get above the hands a few times.

I’ve also seen a few strike zones where if DD could catch the bottom of the knee she would get the strike. But those have been more rare than the strike zone being extended higher.

I don’t get too bent out of shape as long as the zone stays consistent with the same umpire. The only time I’ve had an issue was with an umpire who was calling strikes at the neck/chin. And it was there all game for both sides.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28