Strike three dead ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Had this happen last weekend. There was a runner on 3rd, two outs (probably doesn't affect the answer). Batter swings and misses for strike 3, ball hits her on the helmet. She is thinking dropped 3rd (or HBP) and runs to first (beats throw), runner on 3rd scores. After discussion, ump rules (I think correctly) dead ball strike three, end of inning (no run scored). Was this correct?

May 23, 2018
Had this happen last weekend. There was a runner on 3rd, two outs (probably doesn't affect the answer). Batter swings and misses for strike 3, ball hits her on the helmet. She is thinking dropped 3rd (or HBP) and runs to first (beats throw), runner on 3rd scores. After discussion, ump rules (I think correctly) dead ball strike three, end of inning (no run scored). Was this correct?

Yes. As soon as it hits her it’s a dead ball. Here’s a situation for you: two strikes on the batter, she swings and misses, The ball hits off of the catcher’s shin pads, As the batter/runner starts out of the batters box He kicks the ball inadvertently. What is the ruling? Does it matter whether or not her foot is in fair or foul territory?

In my case, the batter is Out. It doesn’t matter whether or not the batter is in the batters box or running into fair territory. As soon as she strikes the ball she’s out by virtue of the ball being dead and by virtue of two strikes on her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2018
Here’s a situation for you: two strikes on the batter, she swings and misses, The ball hits off of the catcher’s shin pads, As the batter/runner starts out of the batters box He kicks the ball inadvertently. What is the ruling? Does it matter whether or not her foot is in fair or foul territory?

In my case, the batter is Out. It doesn’t matter whether or not the batter is in the batters box or running into fair territory. As soon as she strikes the ball she’s out by virtue of the ball being dead and by virtue of two strikes on her

Not a dead ball, yet ... The batter is out for interfering with F2's attempt to make a play.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yes, Immediate Dead ball, strike 3, batter out

May 23, 2018
Not a dead ball, yet ... The batter is out for interfering with F2's attempt to make a play.
You're right, I should have clarified that. For those that may not know, it's an immediate dead ball if it hits the batter, whether swinging or not. In my example, the ball isn't dead until the batter/runner contacts the ball. A lot of guys get hung up over whether she's in the box or not, whether the ball is fair/foul. After she swings, any contact with the ball kills it. She's out.

May 23, 2018
This may seem like nitpicking and maybe a semantical issue, but I would argue that it isn't interference. With two strikes and a swinging third, the batter/runner is out once the ball touches her. Sort of like a foul ball in the box - it's a dead ball no matter what. She (batter/runner) just loses the opportunity to become a runner by virtue of the ball being dead. A sillier example: The ball hits off the catcher's mask and goes to the batter's heel and then goes right back to the catcher. No interference, but a dead ball nonetheless. Fellow umps, I'd love your input on this:
Is it an interference ( you'll get a hell of an argument from a coach on this)?
Is it akin to a batter making contact with the ball in the batter's box?
Or does this qualify as a third strike swinging with contact on the batter, even though the ball past the plate?
Does the act of the ball hitting the catcher vitiate the third strike swinging and dead ball? ( I think not)
Or, does it really matter? in my mind, the ball is dead, the batter, with two strikes on her, is out.

Jan 10, 2022
I don’t think a deflected ball off a fielder can be interference unless it’s intentional. That batter-runner should have the opportunity to proceed to first with liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
NFHS 5.1.1.a Ball becomes dead immediately when a pitch touches a batter or the batter's clothing. NOTE (F.P.) The ball becomes dead even though the batter strikes at it.

Very first thing in the rule book that is listed as creating an immediate dead ball. No interference needed, no intent required, if a pitch touches the batter or her clothing, dead ball. In this case strike three, end of inning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478