Stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think the problem has to do with trying to time up her foot, instead of timing up the separation to hit. So she is rushing getting her foot to plant, instead of getting her body in time with the pitch. If that makes sense.

At her age, I wouldn't mess with very much. Give her lots of moving balls to hit, and ask her to hit them as hard as she can.

Aug 20, 2017
Do a bunch of dry load/strides to a 50/50 balance. Have her hold foot plant and look to make sure she got to 50/50 balance. Also make sure weight is on inside of back foot during stance and load

Jun 8, 2016
I think the problem has to do with trying to time up her foot, instead of timing up the separation to hit. So she is rushing getting her foot to plant, instead of getting her body in time with the pitch. If that makes sense.

She was double striding less than a month ago so it is not surprising that she is still working the whole stride thing out..:cool: Not sure what my DD's excuse is other than
getting lousy instruction..probably needs to can her hitting instructor :p

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
She was double striding less than a month ago so it is not surprising that she is still working the whole stride thing out..:cool: Not sure what my DD's excuse is other than
getting lousy instruction..probably needs to can her hitting instructor :p

Leave her alone.. she sequences pretty good, and like Eric said lots of bp.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
A drill I call Controlled Fall.

Set up to a tee, bring the bat to the center of her chest and pull the front leg/knee up even with her hip 90 degrees. Tell her to feel like she is controlling her front leg down, not super slow of course but under control, while pulling back getting the "stretch" with her upper body to a good position. Do it a few times without swinging, stopping at toe touch to check for a good launch position. I call it "pressing pause". After she gets the feel and positioning down, hack away and see if she can put it all together.

Oct 2, 2017
A drill I call Controlled Fall.

Set up to a tee, bring the bat to the center of her chest and pull the front leg/knee up even with her hip 90 degrees. Tell her to feel like she is controlling her front leg down, not super slow of course but under control, while pulling back getting the "stretch" with her upper body to a good position. Do it a few times without swinging, stopping at toe touch to check for a good launch position. I call it "pressing pause". After she gets the feel and positioning down, hack away and see if she can put it all together.
Thanks for the tip. I had her performing the hover drill Pattar explained above. She did pretty well. It definitely got her moving in the right direction.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2017
Not sure if she has the body control to be able to do this, but if so this might be helpful:

Edit: FYI, I feel your pain. Still below of my DD makes my eyes bleed for a number of reasons (including the one you are posting about...)

View attachment 13303

Pattar, just wanted to say thanks for suggesting the hover drill. We have used it progressing from tee, to soft toss, to live pitch. I think it has really helped in her case. Below is her using it over the weekend at a tourney.

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar, just wanted to say thanks for suggesting the hover drill. We have used it progressing from tee, to soft toss, to live pitch. I think it has really helped in her case. Below is her using it over the weekend at a tourney.

Looking good!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802