Stride question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2019
Should the lead foot on the stride go further than it was in the stance? Having trouble with my daughter not getting through the ball and hanging back too much on back side. Is there drills for this or will striding out further help maybe taking that step forward

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Do the feet together stride hit drill. Tell her to take her belly button forward slowly while stretching hands back. Go as slow as possible during stride, ride the backside forward! Also Hover Drill will help with knee lift and posture after doing feet together stuff

Feb 16, 2019
Do the feet together stride hit drill. Tell her to take her belly button forward slowly while stretching hands back. Go as slow as possible during stride, ride the backside forward! Also Hover Drill will help with knee lift and posture after doing feet together stuff
What is hover drill

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Stride with the back leg, not the front, until the back leg almost fully straightens. Keep the back heel down as long as possible.

When you land, the body will be roughly in between the feet.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The way he is demoing this drill is not helpful. He is coiling over his back foot, then uncoiling, or opening his hips, as he goes forward. This is not what good hitters do.

I used to try to use and teach the crimp or gather feel in the back hip, as he does.. The problem is you can coil in, coil out, or stay even and feel this crimp in your back hip.. It's not a helpful cue for most people.

Here is what I found that is very easy:
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

You don't need to practice the uncoil, it happens naturally about an inch or two before you land, in a real situation.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
After getting balanced little more than shoulder width, I normally place bat knob to inside of back foot and mark length of bat. That should roughly be the length of you stride.

SL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802