Stride Foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
She had very good timing of when she went to heel drop for that pitch. Consider teaching her the concept and movement of a "running start" as your working on TTB. She looks athletic enough she will eventually get it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Leave her alone and stop over coaching. Wait to the pitching gets faster....and it will....and see what you think about starting the swing before toe touch.
tumblr_pxn5foMV3s1usf292o1_400.gifv

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Leave her alone and stop over coaching. Wait to the pitching gets faster....and it will....and see what you think about starting the swing before toe touch.
tumblr_pxn5foMV3s1usf292o1_400.gifv
There's a difference between just starting to slot when it's a second before toe touch vs what she is doing where she is basically completely slotted. He is maintaining a pretty good stretch.

Oct 2, 2017
She had very good timing of when she went to heel drop for that pitch. Consider teaching her the concept and movement of a "running start" as your working on TTB. She looks athletic enough she will eventually get it.
The only reason I have not tried to teach that running start concept, is because I feel at the younger ages players have a tendency to dump the Barrell. They have a hard enough time controlling the barrel to begin with. Not saying this is true but it's just my thoughts on the subject.

Aug 20, 2017
Clem, I would have her stride to a full foot down and not worry about toe touch yet. Feel the ground. Striding to the toe is correct but girls her age typically don’t have the strength necessary to stride to the toe. Get the stride foot firm into the ground. As she gets older work on toe touch to heel plant. JMO! Nice swing btw

Oct 2, 2017
Clem, I would have her stride to a full foot down and not worry about toe touch yet. Feel the ground. Striding to the toe is correct but girls her age typically don’t have the strength necessary to stride to the toe. Get the stride foot firm into the ground. As she gets older work on toe touch to heel plant. JMO! Nice swing btw
Thanks for the reply. How do you go about teaching foot plant. Do you teach like landing softly, like on a pillow or the many other cues or more of a aggressive foot plant?

Aug 20, 2017
Keep in step pressure in back foot during load/stride and land with in step pressure on stride foot, inside to inside. For younger players I want them to get to heel plant early. Land on the inside of stride foot and get firm into the ground. As they get older I want heel plant to be a violent action. Helps with rotation. For younger players I like to tell them to get to a 60/40 balance back leg to front leg. I’ve found this to be best to achieve a true 50/50 and helps to teach to ride the backside forward. The key is that the back knee, belly button and stride foot all advance.

Oct 2, 2017
Keep in step pressure in back foot during load/stride and land with in step pressure on stride foot, inside to inside. For younger players I want them to get to heel plant early. Land on the inside of stride foot and get firm into the ground. As they get older I want heel plant to be a violent action. Helps with rotation. For younger players I like to tell them to get to a 60/40 balance back leg to front leg. I’ve found this to be best to achieve a true 50/50 and helps to teach to ride the backside forward. The key is that the back knee, belly button and stride foot all advance.
Interesting. I've always told her to land softly into foot plant. If I remember correctly I did it to get her to slow down in stead of rushing everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802