Stride Foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Guys my DD struggles with getting the stride foot on the ground at least even toe touch before launching. Therefore she starts to slot her elbow etc. mid air. Now I know that we don't want to get the foot down early but on time. My question is: For a player that struggles to even get it on the ground to begin with before launching, would it be beneficial to tell her to get it down early? Then getting it down on time would follow as a means of her adjusting to different pitching speeds?

Oct 2, 2017
I would say that she reaches some, but I think she is gaining ground. It seems that because she is launching before toe touch it causes early leveling of the bat etc.

Nov 18, 2015
I'm still not an expert (and a long ways from being an ex-expert) - but I really don't see it as an issue.

She hit a line drive to or over the SS head. That would be the highlight hit of the day for my rec team.

There's plenty of MLB'ers that start to open / rotate their hips before their toe hits. With her stance, and the way she was hovering her foot during the stride, makes me think it's a non-issue.

It's not a timing issue, otherwise she'd of pulled it or went oppo. It may be a DBSF issue, but I think the solution could be found more in the upper body (such as a pull back / scap / bat tip) than trying to fix the stride foot. (Based only on this video - I know you've posted others, and the stride foot may be more of an issue in those - a great swing regardless!)

Sep 29, 2014
I would have her do some drills where she just goes to toe touch and does a freeze frame (a second or two) make her stop the goal is to have her look correct at this point then complete the swing. The trick will be transitioning from this two part drill and putting it all together without reverting. As the drill progresses just have her freeze time get shorter and shorter until it is a fluid motion but make her go back to freezing for a second or more if she breaks form. The way for her to "feel" if she is doing it right is the stretch she should feel at toe touch if she is doing it right.

Oct 2, 2017
I would have her do some drills where she just goes to toe touch and does a freeze frame (a second or two) make her stop the goal is to have her look correct at this point then complete the swing. The trick will be transitioning from this two part drill and putting it all together without reverting. As the drill progresses just have her freeze time get shorter and shorter until it is a fluid motion but make her go back to freezing for a second or more if she breaks form. The way for her to "feel" if she is doing it right is the stretch she should feel at toe touch if she is doing it right.

Just started doing that on front toss as suggested by Eric F for different thing. I like the idea of making the freeze time shorter over time. I think this will help for a situation like yesterday's game. The pitching was slower there for she had to adjust from being so early. I think knowing how to hold the launch when getting on the stride foot will help.

Oct 2, 2017
Beauty swing Clem... love the way she coils forward. Amazing control and temple for somebody that young during a game and live pitching
Because she is now in kid pitch she is like the rest of the team looking for that meat ball to swing at. Ive been trying to tell her that majority of hits are not going to be down the middle anymore. If it's close she needs to get after it. She actually got two hits yesterday.

Sep 29, 2014
She also needs to realize (which is hard) how quick a swing really is she doesn't have to start swinging as the ball comes out. If she actually finds herself stopping mid swing during the game waiting for the ball to get there that is her clue to start later, if the ball is already past her when she swings its time to start sooner it's all about making adjustments

Jun 8, 2016
Because she is now in kid pitch she is like the rest of the team looking for that meat ball to swing at. Ive been trying to tell her that majority of hits are not going to be down the middle anymore. If it's close she needs to get after it. She actually got two hits yesterday.
Nice hit!! Just be glad if she gets one pitch to swing at per game in first year kid pitch.. :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee