Stride foot question??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
Is there an ideal direction(or angle) the stride foot toe should be pointing when it lands? My daughter is landing with her toe poing more towards third base than home plate, I would say closed. Thanks
TM

Jun 20, 2008
IMO, 1:00-2:00 (home plate is 12:00) is about right, any less they are not opening up enough, and any more starts getting tough on the knee...

May 13, 2008
I agree with 2bucket; the stride foot should be landing between 1 o'clock -2 o'clock. At 3 o'clock you run the risk of turning your ankle and you're making it harder to finish your pitch.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I've been learning with my DD that turning the foot to much has another negative effect that you might no expect. It causes rotating the hips to all the way open which reduces a differential between hips and shoulders. This stretch (the differential) seems to assist in inward rotation, whip and speed.

Any of the coaches have an opinion on this thought?

Jan 15, 2009
Clinics I have attended have emphazied that having the stride foot land parrallel to the pitching rubber (i.e. facing third) will lead eventually to knee problems. They suggest trying to get the foot to land at a 45 degree angle minimum to prevent stressing the knee in a direction which it has no support

Mar 11, 2009
ttt

Thanks guys, I will have her do a drill where she lands at 45 degrees or less until she can get it....
TM

Thanks guys, I will have her do a drill where she lands at 45 degrees or less until she can get it....
TM

Of interest relative to the stride foot landing position. Most elite pitchers landing foot angle is greater just prior to heal plant than it is at heal plant. For instance the angle may be 60 degrees prior to heel plant and then 45 degrees at heel plant. This is an indication that the hips are already beginning to close prior to heel plant. This is also very common in elite level hitters and their stride/angle.
Over forcing a specific angle may negatively affect the opening/closing of the hips so be careful or at least be aware of what causes the landing foot angle.

Mar 11, 2009
ttt

Thanks Rick I didn't think of it that way, but I can see it in slow mo video of your daughter pitching...I will have to watch real close on video to see if she is landing closed on her toe but more open when the heel lands...
TM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28