Strength Training for Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2014
Any lifts that a pitcher should not do? Using this at home time to get stronger, curious about what not to do in order to prevent injury

Apr 28, 2014
We took DD to a personal trainer a little over 2 years ago. Her trainer works only with female athletes and has worked with several D1 and D2 pitchers.
She focues on heavy lifting with compound exercises, squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk. She also mixes in other more specialized exercises for pitchers including bench press. Now you will hear on here how terribly awful bench and over head presses are for pitchers. I thought that was true too until DDs trainer proved to me that in moderation they are very good exercises. DD is smaller framed and has added a ton of strength and overall velocity has increased. She was consistently at 57-58 at 15 years old.. shes about to hit her 17th birthday and was clocked by an independent trainer at 62.8 a few weeks back. That's the hardest she's thrown and I attribute her gains to strength training including over head presses and bench presses.

Nov 29, 2014
15- Currently doing (Hang Snatch, Overhead Squat and Snatch Balance) as warm up
Hang Clean, Bent Over Row, Lunge, Squat, RLE Split Squat, Bench, RDL on Monday's Wednesday's and Friday's

Mar 28, 2014
We took DD to a personal trainer a little over 2 years ago. Her trainer works only with female athletes and has worked with several D1 and D2 pitchers.
She focues on heavy lifting with compound exercises, squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk. She also mixes in other more specialized exercises for pitchers including bench press. Now you will hear on here how terribly awful bench and over head presses are for pitchers. I thought that was true too until DDs trainer proved to me that in moderation they are very good exercises. DD is smaller framed and has added a ton of strength and overall velocity has increased. She was consistently at 57-58 at 15 years old.. shes about to hit her 17th birthday and was clocked by an independent trainer at 62.8 a few weeks back. That's the hardest she's thrown and I attribute her gains to strength training including over head presses and bench presses.
What's hard to figure is how much velo she would have gained naturally by the normal maturing process over 2 years. Hard to say really. It's all just a guess.

Apr 28, 2014
What's hard to figure is how much velo she would have gained naturally by the normal maturing process over 2 years. Hard to say really. It's all just a guess.

Gotta agree to some extent but she had been at a plateau as far as speed for almost 2 years and her body was done growing.

Aug 24, 2018
15- Currently doing (Hang Snatch, Overhead Squat and Snatch Balance) as warm up
Hang Clean, Bent Over Row, Lunge, Squat, RLE Split Squat, Bench, RDL on Monday's Wednesday's and Friday's
DD complains about snatches. Seems like throwing on days with snatches is a bad idea.

I think the most important thing is the quality of movement. Technique should be the focus.

And core exercises are more important than any!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Can't remember where but heard two different individuals say that pushing weight away from the body is not beneficial to throwing.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Wasserman Young Blood conditioning program. Yes, I've suggested this before. No, I don't have any connection to Austin. Yes, we use it and it works. Good up to ages 13, maybe 14. Yes, we augment these drills with additional core and forearm work and Pauly's speed drills. And, yes, it makes a difference. :)

Feb 25, 2018
Wasserman Young Blood conditioning program. Yes, I've suggested this before. No, I don't have any connection to Austin. Yes, we use it and it works. Good up to ages 13, maybe 14. Yes, we augment these drills with additional core and forearm work and Pauly's speed drills. And, yes, it makes a difference. :)

Heartily agree. My 14 yo DD worked out once a week the past two winters at his, alas, now closed, Nashua, NH facility.

Strength/mobility work pays dividends in the long term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog