Strength for 8u and 6u players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
I'd keep doing what you're doing lancer. For one-arm drills I went to Walmart where they sell t-ball bats for $7. Picked up a 24 inch one for one-arm drills. I'm not sure many of our 9U girls could do one-arm drills with their normal bat.
She does it with her normal bat, but choked way up at the top of the grip. The long bat actually can help show errors in the bat path. She kept having trouble with the knob hitting her forearm when doing one arm swings with her left hand. It showed that she was rotating the bat way too early contributing to more of a casting type swing. The knob whacking her forearm taught her to let the bat lag a bit more and let the hands get a bit more in front before she brings the bat thru the strike zone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
She does it with her normal bat, but choked way up at the top of the grip. The long bat actually can help show errors in the bat path. She kept having trouble with the knob hitting her forearm when doing one arm swings with her left hand. It showed that she was rotating the bat way too early contributing to more of a casting type swing. The knob whacking her forearm taught her to let the bat lag a bit more and let the hands get a bit more in front before she brings the bat thru the strike zone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

But if you can't control the bat easily with one hand, of course the bat path will be wrong. I deal with only 10U girls so a different animal for sure. I'm more about top hand palm up at impact and most simple concepts.

Feb 1, 2019
I have a buddy who had their kid playing catch with a weighted ball when she was five. She has a rocket launcher hanging on her shoulder now

Nov 25, 2012
USA
focus on mechanics, mechanics, mechanics while at these age groups. If you can do that now and have great mechanics then by 10U and 12U the steriods will be that much more beneficial. J/K :cool:

Hit your mechanics and strength will come. Welcome to DFP!

Jan 4, 2019
I will say at 14 the thing we are working on most is core strength. My 14 yo never did any tumbling but my 11 yo does. Her core is super strong and she is overall faster and stronger than my 14 yo was at that age. My suggestion is tumbling classes to work on core strength and coordination.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28