Strength & Endurance Routines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Hi folks. I have two DD’s (10 & 14).

Both are above average pitchers for their respected ages/level.

The 14 year old mainly pitches, but will play shortstop and/or centerfield at times. She’s a good contact hitter, but lacks running speed and good running mechanics.

The 10 year old also plays catcher. She is also a decent hitter but a very fast aggressive runner.

Both girls are slim, not an unhealthy skinny, just thin in nature.

I’m looking for some advice on good exercises (or a routine) that will build strength; mainly arm and leg, along with some cardio for endurance.

I guess the main goal is to help the kids get stronger (to help with pitching speed and hitting power) and to build endurance. The 14yo pitched a lot this past season (school, rec, all-star, summer, fall) and she definitely wore herself down being the only pitcher on most of those teams. The 10yo caught more than she yearned and she too weakened as the year wore down.

I do realize proper pitching and hitting mechanics are necessary to maximize speed and power, and I know sleep and proper eating habits are also key ingredients to all this, and I'm trying help both of them in those areas too.

In our finished basement we do not have any elaborate/fancy training apparatus. What we do have is a treadmill, a slide-board, a step, dumbbells (free & fixed), about 60 pounds of free weights + curling bar, and a resistance toning tube/band with bar attachment (the tubes have handles on the ends)

We do some pitching specific drills already (weighted balls) and I take each to the pitching lane twice a week.

Any help/advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year; and let’s hope 2012 is happy and healthy for us all.

T J

Feb 3, 2011
I would not put my 10yo on a weight-training program, but opinions about this differ depending on who you're talking to. I occasionally let my DD (9) TOUCH the small weights, but only to get a feel for what it's like to work out with them.

I agree with the above post about jumping and also simplicity for this age, and I agree with avoiding weighted balls. Jumping games are fun and help kids to become more explosive, something I think is critical for pitchers and catchers. Doing some quickness and agility drills a few times a week will also help. This is something I'd like to see more of from my DD, but maybe she'll develop that hunger as she gets older.

The mid-teen years are a good time to get players started in the weightroom. I listened to a speaker yesterday who said she wished she had started lifting before she got to college, as she thinks the added strength and conditioning may have helped prevent the knee injury she suffered her senior year of HS, after she'd already committed to Arizona State.

I coach DD's rec and TB teams, so I can limit the number of innings she pitches in spring and fall. On the summer All-star team, though, it's up to the head coach, but he knows my general philosophy. When she moves on to play for someone else, I will be looking for teams that have a front line pitcher or even 2 joining the team as well, but this is another area where many of us will disagree.

Oct 25, 2009
Jump rope, many variations, like side-to-side, front-to-back, high knees, boxer jumps, twists, cross-overs, etc.
Planks. Don't neglect these.
Burpees. If you couldn't do anything else this would be the one. The jump-reach at the end is very important.
Squats. Body-weight squats.
Agility ladder. Many variations.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Thanks, i appreciate the feedback and education. Incidentally, the only work we do with the weighted balls are snap/flip drills to help develop the strong snap when they pitch.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
There are several training methods and practices you may do for your DDs...for endurance: you may use interval training. Do 100% sprints the distance between bases and then do light jog going back. Do this for 8-10 times. As for increase in strength, prioritize core training and leg workout...isometric training and splits squats are recommended..

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Thanks Lia, those are some nice links. I picked up some good advice here. The step/speed ladder looks really great...I'm gonna pick one of those up.