Strength and Conditioning for Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Is this documented somewhere? That these excercises will benefit pitchers specificallly? I just haven't seen that research.

I’m sure there is research etc to Confirm what I’m saying. However, clinical evidence is as strong as any. I conditioned athletes for many many years. Including myself , my dd and yes this increases rom and decreases injuries. I Know trainers like Todd durkin and others who train the highest level athletes in the world and they all use core and cuff, joint stability, the foundation of any strength and conditioning program.
Watch some YouTube of Monica Abbott’s training regiment. She does a huge joint stability program and functional strength and conditioning program to keep her at the top. Consider her age.
Anyway. Hope this helps.
Ie. The s*it works. The bigs all do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good stuff @Ken B !! My DD recently had surgery to clean up some things in her shoulder. But her surgeon is claiming that the issue did not originate in the shoulder, but rather in the scapula area. So as you are developing training programs, please don't forget the scaps!

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
When it comes to things they can do every time they pitch, which can make a big impact imo. I have all my pitchers do spine opening stretches, the velo lab band routine plus the 5x5 Ken posted, glute activations with bands and kettlebell swings before they pitch. Post throwing routine is trampoline rebounders with heavy ball, wrist weights and bands again. Don’t forget that post throwing routines are as important as pre-throwing routines.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
When it comes to things they can do every time they pitch, which can make a big impact imo. I have all my pitchers do spine opening stretches, the velo lab band routine plus the 5x5 Ken posted, glute activations with bands and kettlebell swings before they pitch. Post throwing routine is trampoline rebounders with heavy ball, wrist weights and bands again. Don’t forget that post throwing routines are as important as pre-throwing routines.

Please make and send a video of this! Thanks

Jun 7, 2016
MAn10,
Second Kens request. Would like to see vids or fotos of some of the routines your athletes do (esp glute activation movements my DD nees help in this area). Please & thanks!

Dec 5, 2017
Face pulls with a band or on a cable machine are a great exercise for shoulders, scaps and a little bit of the traps . I have dd do a lot of timed hand stands against a wall, saw this in a Justin Stone video and she really likes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802