Strangest thing an Umpire has said to you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Ever had an ump tell you the rule book was wrong?

About 3 weeks ago, in a middle-school game featuring a number of questionable calls, the end of the game defies explanation. Batting in the bottom of the 7th, we trail 6-5. Here's the sequence of events that follows...

1. One on, nobody out. Batter has 2-2 count. Opposing pitcher has been quick pitching us all night, so our batters are stepping into the box with a hand up asking for time till they get settled in. The current batter has done the same thing in this at bat on every pitch, and the ump has granted every request in this at bat and throughout the whole game. Except on this one, single 2-2 pitch. The girl steps in with her hand up, and the pitcher throws one down the middle while our batter is getting her front foot on the ground. Ump calls strike three. Upon protest, he says, "I don't have to give her time if I don't want to." True. And it's in the rules, but it's cheap when it's only done once in a game, and in that situation.

2. Moving on, we have 1 out and runners on 1st and 2nd, our batter loops a lazy fly into short center. CF comes in hard and gets to the ball, but as she reaches out for it, the ball bounces in and right out of her glove, falling on the ground. Field ump immediately calls the batter out, claiming DF dropped the ball in the transition to throw. Problem is, CF's throwing hand was never near the glove hand. She was reaching forward with glove hand and had throwing hand behind her when the ball bounced out. What saved our runners was the CF - who knew she had dropped the ball - throwing to third to get the force after dropping the ball (our runner at 2nd was holding close to the bag because the ball was so shallow in center). That gave our runner just enough time to return to the 2nd when she heard the ump call the batter out. (Very heads up running by our girls on base, because the ball was so obviously dropped, I wouldn't have faulted either one for getting doubled up.)

3. We manage to load the bases with 2 outs. We want to use a pinch hitter for the batter coming up. Same girl pinch hit for the same fielder in the 6th. Then we re-entered the fielder. Now with bases loaded and 2 out, we want to use the same PH again. (NFHS rules: any player, starter or substitute, can be withdrawn and re-entered one time as long as the re-enter in the same place in the batting order.) If we tie and go back for an 8th inning, the fielder is burned, but we needed a hitter right now, and hopefully don't need an 8th inning. PU refused to let PH bat because she'd already batted and been pulled. We called out the rule in the book. He maintained his position and wouldn't let the PH bat. We even showed him the rule in the book. He looked at it and then said the book was wrong! HE SAID THE RULE BOOK WAS WRONG!? So our PH does not hit. Without a better option, our scheduled hitter bats, and grounds into a game-ending 5-3 put out.

I don't expect umps to be perfect, but that series of events has left me scarred. And I've never seen an ump say the rule book was wrong. Have I mentioned the ump said the rule book was wrong?

I'm still having nightmares.

Jun 7, 2013
Ever had an ump tell you the rule book was wrong?

About 3 weeks ago, in a middle-school game featuring a number of questionable calls, the end of the game defies explanation. Batting in the bottom of the 7th, we trail 6-5. Here's the sequence of events that follows...

1. One on, nobody out. Batter has 2-2 count. Opposing pitcher has been quick pitching us all night, so our batters are stepping into the box with a hand up asking for time till they get settled in. The current batter has done the same thing in this at bat on every pitch, and the ump has granted every request in this at bat and throughout the whole game. Except on this one, single 2-2 pitch. The girl steps in with her hand up, and the pitcher throws one down the middle while our batter is getting her front foot on the ground. Ump calls strike three. Upon protest, he says, "I don't have to give her time if I don't want to." True. And it's in the rules, but it's cheap when it's only done once in a game, and in that situation.

2. Moving on, we have 1 out and runners on 1st and 2nd, our batter loops a lazy fly into short center. CF comes in hard and gets to the ball, but as she reaches out for it, the ball bounces in and right out of her glove, falling on the ground. Field ump immediately calls the batter out, claiming DF dropped the ball in the transition to throw. Problem is, CF's throwing hand was never near the glove hand. She was reaching forward with glove hand and had throwing hand behind her when the ball bounced out. What saved our runners was the CF - who knew she had dropped the ball - throwing to third to get the force after dropping the ball (our runner at 2nd was holding close to the bag because the ball was so shallow in center). That gave our runner just enough time to return to the 2nd when she heard the ump call the batter out. (Very heads up running by our girls on base, because the ball was so obviously dropped, I wouldn't have faulted either one for getting doubled up.)

3. We manage to load the bases with 2 outs. We want to use a pinch hitter for the batter coming up. Same girl pinch hit for the same fielder in the 6th. Then we re-entered the fielder. Now with bases loaded and 2 out, we want to use the same PH again. (NFHS rules: any player, starter or substitute, can be withdrawn and re-entered one time as long as the re-enter in the same place in the batting order.) If we tie and go back for an 8th inning, the fielder is burned, but we needed a hitter right now, and hopefully don't need an 8th inning. PU refused to let PH bat because she'd already batted and been pulled. We called out the rule in the book. He maintained his position and wouldn't let the PH bat. We even showed him the rule in the book. He looked at it and then said the book was wrong! HE SAID THE RULE BOOK WAS WRONG!? So our PH does not hit. Without a better option, our scheduled hitter bats, and grounds into a game-ending 5-3 put out.

I don't expect umps to be perfect, but that series of events has left me scarred. And I've never seen an ump say the rule book was wrong. Have I mentioned the ump said the rule book was wrong?

I'm still having nightmares.

This sounds as if the PU was intentionally prejudiced against your team? Did it seem that way to you?

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
This sounds as if the PU was intentionally prejudiced against your team? Did it seem that way to you?

It's easy to go there, but I don't really think so. Both umps made some horrible calls against both teams through the whole game. 7th inning was more likely a "perfect storm" of umpiring incontinence. I mean incompetence.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I am a female coach. A very curvy female coach.

After a force play at second, and the second baseman was clearly not on the bag, I left the third base coaches box, asked for time and then asked the BU if he could ask for help. (Ooops, I pointed out the foot prints)

BU: "NO SIR!"
I was already heading back to the dugout. . .boy did I whip my head around. . ."WHAT!"
BU: . . . UH, UH, I MEAN MA'AM, NO MA'AM!"

When I relayed that to my DH when I got home, he laughed, and laughed. I would just turn and look at him and he would laugh. Needless to say he is in the doghouse.

Did I mention I was a curvy female. . .

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2015
We had a pitcher throw three in a row that hit the plate and catch the ump. He took off his mask, turned to our coach and said "I get hit again and I'm going to have you being out a catcher who can catch." Our girl was in tears and our parents were livid! Did I mention this is 10U!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2013
I was watching a 10U game this weekend and had a clear strike get dropped and the PU blow the call. Coach argues from the dugout and the ump actually said, "It might have been a strike if she would have caught it." I was right beside home plate and one of the parents looked at me and asked pretty loudly what rulebook that was from. I replied, "The imaginary one." I got a dirty look, but none of my teams were playing there this weekend so no harm done. :)

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
A couple of tournaments ago, the PU kept asking the catcher "How was that call? That was a strike, wasn't it (on a ball)? That was too low, wasn't it? What would you have called that?" Talk about low self esteem. LOL.

May 29, 2013
In a friendly double-header, we're on defense with 1 out and a runner on 1B. Sharp grounder to F4 who grabs it, tags the runner going past (BU calls the out) and then fires to 1B beating the batter runner by a good step. BU calls "safe."

After the inning, as I came out to be the 1B coach, the ump says "Well, I was only 99% sure she made that tag, so I only gave you guys the one out."

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I had that one - it's the same as NFHS 6-2-4 and NCAA 10.10.7 with the "obvious purpose" clause. I'm asking for an ASA equivalent to NFHS 7-3-1.Eff2 and NCAA 11.2.5.
What’s the argument. The batter wanted time out and in a round about way got
It with zero penalty to her. Arguing for the IP makes it seem like getting the IP was more important then the TO, proving the point that it was the purpose of the TO being called.

Yeah I know this is 4 years old, but I’m reading it today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee