Strangest ending to a game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
This past weekend ... the tournament I worked did not send out rules to the umpires ahead of time. We were told 65 minutes drop dead In pool play ... and we were told 65 minutes finish the batter. Games can end in a tie.

Eh, it won’t matter so we’ll be nice and finish the batter. 3 games Friday night and we were fine,

First game Saturday ... 2-2 tie game (in part on an early obstruction call that took away the third out of the inning and gave the runner home) ...

3-2 count on the batter (nobody on base) when time expires. Now ”drop dead” or “finish the batter” matters ... I tell nobody to move and I summon the UIC. UIC says “finish the batter”.

Offensive coach says “So it’s a tie unless she hits a walk-off homerun?”
I say yes.
Defensive coach says “Intentional walk, put her on.”
I say “Sorry, its USA sanctioning and you have to throw the pitches.” They should have just thrown the ball over the backstop ... instead ...

Pitcher throws ball four ... and we are off to the races ... Runner rounds first and heads to second. Catcher throws the ball to the shortstop who just stands in between second and third, waiting.

The runner feints, the fielder starts to chase, both retreat ... We spend the next five minutes playing cat and mouse like this, at times literally standing still and just staring at each other. The runner would get back to the base and the fielder would start to throw to the pitcher and the runner would start to advance ...

The crowd is laughing, my partner and I are shrugging ... the Runner manages to get to third and round it ... defense throws the ball to to the catcher ... and here we go again ... until the runner gets greedy and tries to go too far out of her base path in an attempt to get around the catcher making the tag ...

As we are walking off, a parent asks ”When is the last time you saw that, Blue?”

”Never.”

Apr 16, 2013
Years back in baseball, I can't remember if it was 11u or 12u. Tie game, runner on 3rd. Our pitcher lets the ball drop out of her glove or something along those lines. Balk. Runner awarded home, game over. Now, that's a little crazy but I'm sure not unheard of. However, championship game comes vs the same team. Tied game, we're home team, runner on 3rd. Take a wild guess what happens? Our runner does the fake jump for home, causes the pitcher to balk. Game over, we win. Everyone, including their team, had a laugh at it all. Good sports all around from what I remember.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I posted this before:

We had a game end in a way I have never seen before this summer (2018)...

Up by one, tying runner on 3rd, (1st and 2nd were empty) we intentionally walked a batter who was pretty much batting 1000 against us over two games in the tournament, hoping to get the next batter (who had struck out several times). Next batter comes up and rips the first pitch to the 2b position, hitting the batter we had intentionally walked. Game over. Home ump comes over after the game (if you are from Michigan or Ohio, you probably know him as 'Gator') and says, "Bet you young fellows haven't seen that happen before!" He was right...

May 29, 2015
Wouldn't it have been over if they threw the ball to the pitcher?

Not unless (a) the pitcher had the ball in the pitcher’s circle AND (b) the pitcher did not make a play AND (c) the runner stops on a base or stops off a base and fails to immediately advance or retreat.

We couldn’t get all three elements at the same time.

Jan 8, 2019
How about runner touches base, SS asks Blue for time? If/when time out is granted, then game.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
How about runner touches base, SS asks Blue for time? If/when time out is granted, then game.

Because blue can’t grant time until the play has ended with pitcher in possession of the ball and runners on a base...

The tournament rule is flawed
Either it’s a drop dead or a no new... drop dead finish the batter is asking for trouble.. I’ve seen drop dead score stands - will finish the batter so the kid feels better but a lot of blues won’t due to liability concerns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were tied time expired batter walked they threw ball to pitcher runner rounds 1st rounds 2nd pitcher finally threw to 3rd got in rundown with bad throw runner rounds 3rd another rundown at home with bad throw to 3rd she scores we win. Only time I’ve ever seen it work.

May 29, 2015
That’s what I was expecting.

So the ensuing discussion was “How do you handle that (going back to the pitch) as the defense?”

We came up with two answers:
1) Hit the batter
2) Pitch it over the backstop

The key is you need a dead ball so the runner cannot advance. In codes that allow you to do a no-pitch intentional walk, that would work also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse