Strange Plays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Inspired by the lazy catcher thread.

Last night 12U rec. 1st and 2nd none out. I'm coaching 1st remind both girls ground ball you gotta go. So what do you know ground ball to SS -

runner on 2nd sees SS field the ball turns around and goes to 2nd, runner on first sees her go to 2nd and starts running back to first. meanwhile I'm pointing and yelling for them to run the other way.

SS has super easy double play by simply tagging runner on 2nd and stepping on the bag and with a really good throw might pull off a triple play so what doe she do?

You got it after much indecision she throws to first to try and get the out there and runner beats throw. but hey they still have a force out at 2nd on the girl who got more than half way back to 1st so 1B throws to 2nd - 2B drops the throw everyone safe.

So what crazy plays have you guys seen over the years?

Jun 11, 2013
I remember one a few years back.

we had no out r2, r3. Batter hits a grounder to 2nd with IF back.

For some reason R3 did not go , but r2 did.

throw to first was in the dirt. batter safe,

However, r2 rounded 3rd so she was out, r3 tried to score after that and was thrown out and batter tried to go to
second was thrown out for a triple play.

Dec 27, 2014
12u tournament. We are down 5 runs or so. No one on and one of our less experienced base runners at the plate. Swinging bunt, soft roller to F1. F1 overthrows to 1b. Batter heads to 2nd but does not pick up 3b coach who is wanting the runner to come to 3b. Runner stops at 2b and then, finally, sees 3b coach wanting her to go to third. She starts to go but notices the ball is now back to the F4. So, she stops about 1o feet off 2b, and then decides to go to 3b anyways. Is an easy out but f4 throw is high and she comes home to score without a play at the plate. We come back to win by one run. Felt like 10u rec. :)

Jan 22, 2011
Bases loaded in 10u rec. Batter hits the ball into ground about ~7 feet in front of home. Catcher hustles after ball. Ball bounces straight back at her and with her feet near the imaginary foul line in the lefty batter's box, ball bounces off her legs and a couple feet back in front of home.

I'm wondering what blue is going to signal since it looked fair to me.... he points to fair territory.

Catcher grabs ball and steps on home plate. Out 1.

Catcher fires ball to shortstop who is moving towards second to cover, but stopped a few feet short of base, thinking it was a foul ball. Has ball in glove and tags runner who was on 2nd who is headed back to 2nd, thinking it was a foul ball. Out 2.

Shortstop takes 3 steps to 2nd, steps on bag, as runner is heading back to 1B. Out 3.

Great heads-up play on two counts by my catcher. Hustle turned a probable foul ball into an out at home, and immediately looking for the next out, turned a probable foul ball into a triple play.

Wish I had a picture of the stunned look on the parents of the other team in the bleachers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812