Stop hitting down!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Most of this video is about how he 'feels'. He already uses the two steps to success below, which every MLB hitter uses, but he doesn't know how he got there. 5:20 and 7:20 is good, but his demos will lead you down a rabbit hole.

Steps to success:
1. Coil inward as you go forward. 99% of people coil their hips and shoulders outward as they go forward. You are dead after this with no way to recover. [It makes no difference if you leg kick, or turn your foot or whatever. Do whatever works. Keep the back heel down, and don't turn over your front knee early.]

2. Make sure the rear forearm is flat/horizontal at toe touch. 99% of people have a near vertical forearm which leads to bat drag. You are dead after this as well.

It's really this simple. These two steps fix almost everything.

Happy new year and happy hitting success.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Most of this video is about how he 'feels'. He already uses the two steps to success below, which every MLB hitter uses, but he doesn't know how he got there. 5:20 and 7:20 is good, but his demos will lead you down a rabbit hole.

Steps to success:
1. Coil inward as you go forward. 99% of people coil their hips and shoulders outward as they go forward. You are dead after this with no way to recover. [It makes no difference if you leg kick, or turn your foot or whatever. Do whatever works. Keep the back heel down, and don't turn over your front knee early.]

2. Make sure the rear forearm is flat/horizontal at toe touch. 99% of people have a near vertical forearm which leads to bat drag. You are dead after this as well.

It's really this simple. These two steps fix almost everything.

Happy new year and happy hitting success.
Granted I don't think most would teach the exaggerated leg kick but beyond that lots of good stuff there...he walks through a lot of the stuff we preach here, load, coil, position at toe touch, stretch, shoulder tilt and just getting the focus off the hands doing too much...if you could incorporate everything he is talking about you would be doing just fine. and gotta love his advice to kid when the coach tells them to hit down on the ball "just say NO"

Although I agree for the most part a couple simply things would help most players...just getting to the proper position at toe touch is HUGE...as you mentioned if it's not right at this point you simply won't recover...

Sep 19, 2018
My dd is 10. She slowly grew into having the same issue of swinging down. I tried a few of the drills suggested in this thread. Nothing clicked. I said 'let just try to finish high'. She immediately became a totally different hitter. Completely fixed the issue. I don't know why it clicked but it did. I wish you luck with your DD.

Feb 8, 2019
This video is gold....someone that over the years didn't just parrot his coaches but has actually taken the time to learn his craft.
A student of Bobby Tewksbary, though he isnt mentioned. Josh did Have Bobby pitch to him in the HR derby before the AllStar game a few years ago. (Im gettin old, so it mightve been more than a few)

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Forget watching all the videos.. putting videos on here to analyze... over thinking the swing.

Go get a T and hit off if it until she can hit it out of the infield, like an earlier poster said. Lot's of reps.. lot's of reps... lot's of reps.... hitting is not learned on a message board, it's learned in the backyard or on a ball field somewhere. Good luck.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Forget watching all the videos.. putting videos on here to analyze... over thinking the swing.

Go get a T and hit off if it until she can hit it out of the infield, like an earlier poster said. Lot's of reps.. lot's of reps... lot's of reps.... hitting is not learned on a message board, it's learned in the backyard or on a ball field somewhere. Good luck.

I am an advocate of long tee. If she is hitting line drives to the grass in the air she is doing something right. And she getting feedback seeing the balls trajectory.

How about this thing. I have one. Haven't had it out for a while. Going to get it out after seeing this.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I am an advocate of long tee. If she is hitting line drives to the grass in the air she is doing something right. And she getting feedback seeing the balls trajectory.

How about this thing. I have one. Haven't had it out for a while. Going to get it out after seeing this.

I have one too, haven't used it yet. We are just about ready to start practicing again after soccer and basketball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have one too, haven't used it yet. We are just about ready to start practicing again after soccer and basketball.

I remember it is not easy to use. Takes some time to get it right. Can't have a lazy swing or do it slowly. But when you get the hang of it the swing looks good (accelerating). Going to video some swings today and evaluate.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I remember it is not easy to use. Takes some time to get it right. Can't have a lazy swing or do it slowly. But when you get the hang of it the swing looks good (accelerating). Going to video some swings today and evaluate.

It seems to me, looking at it in action, you have to crack the whip a little or throw the barrel well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812